What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buds about to open...

i got the following neps in spike!:

ventricosa squat - female - any stud is welcomed!
smile_r_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

spike on the female is now erect, waiting for the buds to open...

107670435O758499973.jpg

maxima green - male - who needs some pollen, please post here! now waiting for the buds

105297567O157382933.jpg

You're not gonna be pollinating me Santos. Get away with that thing!
smile_n_32.gif

Oh and somehow, saying "the spike on the female is now erect" sounds just plain wrong.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hope you find the mate of your dreams Santos!!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ May 29 2006,4:22)]You're not gonna be pollinating me Santos.  Get away with that thing!
smile_n_32.gif

Oh and somehow, saying "the spike on the female is now erect"  sounds just plain wrong.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hope you find the mate of your dreams Santos!!
biggrin.gif
LMAO!!!!!! c'mon now!!!! you know what i mean!

As a last resort, will you pollinate them with each other? I know the cross has been done to death probably(I have stock in the 'Red Leopard' company myself), but maybe not with an all green maxima...really don't know if that will be interesting or not-just curious.

Cheers,

Joe

How do you pollinate a female flower with a male? Where is the pollen on the male? I see no powdery stuff, but yellow things. I plucked off a male flower and rubbed it on a female flower, but I don't think that's gonna do the trick
smile_m_32.gif

It may take the stamen (that's the yellow thing) a day or two to ripen, so don't cut them off the flower. When I pollinate nepenthes, I put both plants side-by-side and rub the yellow stamens against the female pistils. I take a few minutes every day for about a week, hitting each pistil every day to insure fertility. It seems to work for me. I just planted about 1000 seeds of (Nepenthes spathulata x maxima) x (Nepenthes spathulata x alata) that I cross pollinated earlier this spring. Every pistil was set with seed.

Flowers on a male nep have kind of a longer flower with the stamen at the end, wich looks kind of like a yellowish ball. The female doesnt have that "ball" towards the end it has ths stigma. Just Use a paint brush to "paint" the pollen from male to female. Be sure to go back and forth a couple times (once or twice a day)

Cheers

Back