What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud scales on Sarracenia?

joossa

Aklys
I have been noticing that all of my dormant Sarracenia have grown small triangular leaf-life structures at the center of their meristems. I have noticed this in years past, but never really gave them much thought.

Could these structures be analogous or homologous to bud scales that some deciduous trees grow to protect their meristems over the winter? Has anyone noticed these on their Sarrs as well?

I too have noticed them, and I also believe that they are formed for protection for the winter.

I have noticed this on a few of my current plants. It might just be a place where the plant could also store some extra energy in fall to use to grow again in spring (just a thought, no research was done at all) as well as the winter protection against frost.

I think you've absolutely nailed it Joel. I also think that these may somewhat help protect the flower bud at the same time over the season during light frosts.

Back