What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brass and Nepenthes

I have a question in regards to Nepenthes and a brass watering can I have my eye on.

I read that they don't appreciate zinc - and brass being an alloy of copper and zinc, I presumed that it would be a no no. But I thought I would ask if anyone has experience with metals and sensitive plants

brass-watering-can.jpg

why do you want that one so badly?

It looks stunning in person (I'm a designer, and need to be surrounded by beautiful things)

I had brass watering cans for years, which had no effect whatsoever on my Nepenthes collection; however, I would not store water in metal cans for long periods of time . . .

Last edited:
Awesome. I think I'll risk it.

I had brass watering cans for years, which had no effect whatsoever on my Nepenthes collection; however, I would not store water in metal cans for long periods of time . . .

Awesome. I think I'll risk it.
Why don't you get a small cp of some kind (n. ventrata for example) and try it on that one plant first to see how it does. Or you could keep some distilled water in it for a week and measure the total dissolved solids, just be sure to measure it beforehand so you know how much it's increased. I know that seems like a lot, but it's better than putting your whole collection at risk.

Why don't you get a small cp of some kind (n. ventrata for example) and try it on that one plant first to see how it does. Or you could keep some distilled water in it for a week and measure the total dissolved solids, just be sure to measure it beforehand so you know how much it's increased. I know that seems like a lot, but it's better than putting your whole collection at risk.

Don't be absurd. Before the advent of plastic misting bottles and fashionable pails from Ikea, what do you suppose they were composed of? I would be far more concerned with the leachate from plastics. You'll also find more zinc and other metals (as a result of industry), present in many Canadian peat mosses -- a common ingredient in pitcher plant composts -- than what can possibly be contributed by a brass pitcher . . .

Last edited:
Ok, it appears that I was wrong.

It's a fair point mate. Just out of interest I'll give it a go with the TDS meter.

Years ago, I kept Sundews and VFT in a big copper dish - and they where happy as Larry. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do that, but looking back I'm surprised that those plants survived (and thrived)

Ok, it appears that I was wrong.

Not to hijack this thread, but what kind of concern should you have about raising the conductivity of the water? are soluble salts the only thing that can add to that?

If I'm correct (I've been wrong before) it's not the conductivity of the water that hurts CP's it's that the minerals burn the roots of CP's.

I was initially concerned about the zinc content of brass, as I read that a neps hate zinc. In what quantity and why they hate it, I don't know. If anyone could explain the way heavy metals conflict with plants, that would be great

I was responding to farmertom's question. In response to your question about heavy metals, in humans lead can easily be mistaken by the body for other materials that are necessary for life functions. The lead doesn't work of course and the human starts to slowly die. It could be a similar case with zinc, but it's just a theory.

Last edited:
I don't suppose you have any way of figuring out what the alloy actually is, do you? Contacting the manufacturer, perhaps?

Alloyed brass with high-zinc content (to give that bright gold color), is also often alloyed with antimony, tin, or other additives, especially when it's for liquid applications, to prevent the leaching of zinc.

That being said, regular use, without letting water sit in it for long periods will render your worries moot. Most of the corrosion effects are due to acidic water, either stagnant or slow-moving, or neutral ph water with a high salt content. Neither of which you should be using for your plants unless you occasionally make an acidic tannin or coffee solution, and again, as long as you don't let it sit, there's no reason to worry about it.

I was responding to farmertom's question. In response to your question about heavy metals, in humans lead can easily be mistaken by the body for other materials that are necessary for life functions. The lead doesn't work of course and the human starts to slowly die. It could be a similar case with zinc, but it's just a theory.

Stating something as a fact, then putting "just a theory" at the end can be misleading to those who don't read the entire post. That said lead is NOT MISTAKEN by the body. It replaces zinc, calcium and iron in biochemical reactions and alters the shape of the resulting molecules beyond what the body can utilize. A detailed web search will explain exactly what happens within the body. There is a separate issue depending on which element is being replaced. An over abundance of zinc results in a copper deficiency which in turn results in a myriad of physical symptoms.
If you are talking about the human body and physiology you need to be more precise.

Last edited:
Back