What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boreal jumping spider feeding on a western tent caterpillar (pic)

I took these pictures of a boreal jumping spider (Phidippus borealis) feeding on a western tent caterpillar (Malacosoma californicum) last June. I spotted the spider just after it had caught the caterpillar and was dragging it across the leaf of one of the banana plants in my garden. It’s always amazing to see what large prey small spiders are able to catch and haul around. Sort of like me killing a bull moose and carrying it home for dinner.

Cheers,
EC
More information and photos: http://wp.me/p2wM8r-vO

P6290436 jumping spider and caterpillar copyright ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

P6290383 2 jumping spider and caterpillar copyright ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Incredible photos as always. I could use some of those spiders to take care of the Light Brown Apple Moth larvae that are chewing up my Sarracenia and Drosera.

always a pleasure to look at your pics Ernie,that is one greedy critter

Awesome pics as always. :)

Back