What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book: The Heroin Diaries

I just got this book in the mail today from one of my review item solicitors:

61hxDYLVD3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I haven't seen it in the bookshops yet but Amazon says it was released in late October. I'm not a huge Motley Crue fan but I liked 'em well enough back in the day from the times of these writings (86-87). I don't care much at all for autobiographies but since this is supposed to be a diary (based on Crowley's Diary of A Drug Fiend journal system of breaking habits) it has more of an immediacy and (ideally) unglossed immediate impressions. Entries range from a few sentences to a page or so. Who knows how much editing went into it when it was being prepared, only the author I suppose. But it's 400+ pages are laid out very enjoyable 2 color (red & black on glossy white paper) fanzine style using typewriter font and hand scrawled sketches, random collage art, keeping up an intense visual interest throughout as well as interesting text. I rolled my eyes when I pulled it out of the package figuring it was just a Nikki Sixx autobiography book but my eyes got big as a flipped through, it looks like it'll actually be quite enjoyable to both look at and read!

Here's the Amazon link if anyone's interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Heroin-Diarie...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228949999&sr=1-1

Good luck with that. Did you ever read Jim Carroll's Basketball Diaries? I started it when he had his famous song back around the time I started college. I didn't get very far, but it was kind of like that, except that it was written by a kid rather than by a multimillionaire.

No, I haven't heard of Basketball diaries but then I'm not into sports in the least. lol!
But what you're saying is the book was mixed media? I have a large number of mixed media books, I have several scrap book text/image books by Burroughs, some of my faves of this type.

As I say, these diary entries are supposedly from the "girls" tour. Are they even known anymore? I've no idea what the scene of these people is like anymore. I haven't looked at a Circus or Hit Parader in 20 years. I see the drummer on comedy central as a butt of jokes a lot. And Vince Neil got really fat on some VH1 "reality" show other than that...? lol! :D

Basketball Diaries was written by a young teen basketball star junkie. It isn't mixed media - it's just another heroin diary.

Back