What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog soil compaction?

Has anyone heard of or had problems with the peat in their bog compacting and "suffocating" roots? I have two bog pots and I believe this is happening to me. The sarrs did'nt put out much root growth last year and not many new pitchers either. I just wondered if I was making this up or if it really is an issue to watch for. I guess that repotting may be my only option, but if anyone has insight or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks TF community!

Last edited:
Also I should mention that there is not perlite in the mix, just peat. I was worried about them drying out too fast in our hot windy summers.

Also I should mention that there is not perlite in the mix, just peat. I was worried about them drying out too fast in our hot windy summers.

I think that is the big problem right there. You need something in there with the peat or else it will compact. I've recently moved away from perlite and use silica sand instead but that is in pots. If I were to do something big I would use peat/perlite/silica sand mix.

Oh! I forgot to mention that I also have a top layer of silica sand in my pots. It keeps fungus gnat larva out of the soil and it also seems to keep the soil wet underneath.

Thanks for the advice lil. I think in a month or so I will lighten up the mix and repot both smaller pots into a 30 gal. pot and see what happens this year. I was using bamboo skewers last year to try and aerate, but it was not helping much. I may have to skip the sand and bump up the perlite to keep a 30 gal. pot mobile tho.

Back