What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bletilla striata--Right for a bog?

Hey, I'm not an orchid person but have received a Bletilla striata 'Lavender' as a gift. It's quite big, and I'm sure I can make several divisions, and I'm planning to test at least one in the bog. I've done a little research, but I couldn't make myself sure about whether Bletillas can do well and grow and flower well in a nutrient-poor bog setting along with my CPs.

Does anyone have a verdict for its suitability? Also, how much sun does it like?

I dunno if they can be grown that wet or not. I have some that are groing in a pot in dirt. They are in bloom now. If you have enough I wouldn't think it would hurt to test one, but I can tell you mine got neglected last year and I didn't water over the winter. Something I could never do to my bog. I had the water pump running all year on its cycle to keep it moist.

I dunno about nutrient poor sopil either, but I am willing to bet the dirt I have my blatillas in is pretty poor and I do not fertilize either. Also they are in full sun with the bog. My only concern would be the wetness of a bog, but like I said it would be worth a try if you have one to spare. My bog is full right now so I don't want to over croud it any more. I do think I need to repot my blatillas though. They have reached the edge of the pot.

Yeah, the water concerned me too so I put a pseudobulb in one of the ones I've got a drainage hole in. We'll see how that goes. Also, since you've got them too, do they grow fast enough to overrun CPs or become annoying/invasive?

They haven't become invasive for me yet. I only have them in a pot and each year i get a couple new growths, but i think the older ones died so it really is not getting much larger, but it is running across the pot. I will try to take pictures, but i cannot promise anything.

They aren't bog orchids and, if they survive the growing season, they'll almost certainly rot in a too-wet dormancy.

I am also in North Georgia. I planted a pot of these in my yard (not in a bog) and they have multiplied like crazy. They show potential to naturalize. The only problem is their habit of rapidly breaking dormancy one week before the last major freeze of the winter. If they get hit by a bad freeze aftter breaking dormancy, they might not flower. My plants took the drought just fine, nothing seems to be able to kill them.

Bletillas are known for doing that, so it's best to mulch them heavily (I use oak leaves, which won't mat down). The mulch will slow them down in the spring and, up here in CT, it also protects them from sub-zero temps in the winter.

Back