What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

billy from houston

hello, billy here, 26, just got into cp's this month and find myself wanting to go to nurseries and garden centers all of the sudden....strange feeling. anyway, i dont have much experience in this unless you count killing my VFT by feeding it ham as a child experience...other than that, i plan on moving soon, which will allow for free range of the backyard(currently renting house) and the desire to build a bog garden ever increasing as the day passes and i sit here and look at everyone elses.....*sigh*....it'll come soon enough though, patience...

as some of you have probably seen, i am actively posting questions and providing my knowledge in anyway i can. see ya'll around(yes "ya'll", im in texas, woo!)

~b
:banana2:

Welcome, Billy. You should really check out Houston Herpetological Supplies in Houston, which is run by Mike Howlett, another member here. He is also the Head Grower for the NASC, which I also saw you post in the NASC forum.

xvart.

Last edited by a moderator:
not only did i post on the NASC forum, i joined it already. im a member of the gulf coast conservation association so in the name of conservation, why not? :)

Surprisingly, ive read about Mike Howlett from searching CPs on the internet and plan to make a stop by sometime to check it out.

~b

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Woooooooooohoooooooo! A conservation-minded CP-interested person in Houston!

Welcome to TF and the CP addiction. Lucky you if you can build a nice bog. That would be a great CP garden to have.

Thank you for joining NASC and I hope you can help us out in whatever way you are willing.

-Suzanne/PAK
NASC President

ill read up on the meeting and see if i can, cant promise since my schedule is determined by which one of my customers is going to fry their computer next :) i will try for sure though.

i was never really big on forums but i will have to say that everyone has made me feel extremely comfortable and welcome here. besides, who can pass up the free info?:-D

see you all around!
~b

Welcome billy. I myself am your age and just got into carnivorous plants. Maybe we can give each other newbie tips. I'll have to check out Mike's place as well... my parents live in Houston (I live in San Antonio)so I shoot over there when I have the chance to.

hey bg! glad to see we got another texas grower. believe me, , you'll get addicted sooner or later, its not a matter of "if it will happen", its already started.

you should also make a grow list thread and add it to your sig so everyone can check out what you got :D

~b

What part of H-town are you guys from? I'm from The Woodlands, but I've spent the past 3 years in Lubbock.

im right down the street from the reliant stadium/astrodome , i could even walk to it if i had to(i would when dealing with football traffic).

good to see some other houstonians around :)

~b

I currently live in San Antonio but grew up in the bear creek area (NW Houston, barker cypress and west littleyork). pk, the woodlands is awesome... really nice area. I will definitely be asking you about how to sow seeds... I am ordering some D. filiformis and Pinguicula seeds. I read your post and it sounds like you can apply your method to almost any carnivorous plant.

thats wayyyyy on the other side town :) seeing as houston is something like 30 miles across(more if you include conroe, sugarland, pasedena & baytown, kinda like dallas/fortworth).

i really wish i could help with seed sowing but i know nothing of it. i will be trying my luck soon with some sarr seeds. i need to look into more droseras for my mini bog...and seeds seem to be the cheapest.

~b

Lol ask me anything at all you want about neps, but I have no idea at all about how to grow anything else. Every other plant I've tried has died on me in less than 4 months. Neps are cake for me though. You guys could grow lowlanders outside for the entire year except the 2 month winter with no problems.

I'm still trying to figure out where to get everything... the seeds I want no one has. I really want to try D. filiformis var filiformis "florida all red" because this one supposedly does not require dormancy... but I can't find it anywhere!

Yeah, Houston is GIGANTOR!!!

Baylorguy- The D. filiformis Fl. giant that I carry in my store does not require winter dormancy either. It is in the Sundew section of www.flytrapshop.com
Andrew

alright phission, im pretty sure i have a n. ventricosa but wen i got it, it had no roots, just a stem(it came from lowes)...ive had it in a 3 equal part mix of lfs, peat, perlite. it just sits outside in a hanging pot getting maybe a few hours of early sun. so what should i do with it? it doesnt look like its growing but not dying either. is everything normal?

oh, its been in the pot for about 3 weeks now, when can i expect it to root?

thanks,
~b

Thanks Andrew!

Back