What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betta and new chloramine tap water...

joossa

Aklys
My area's municipal water district is changing from chlorine to chloramine as a disinfectant in the tap water.

I own a male betta and I have to change his water every week. I use one part tap water and one part RO water to keep some minerals and salts in his water (I know they don't do well in pure RO water). I let the tap water sit for about two days in order for the chlorine to evaporate away before changing the betta's water.

Now that they are changing to chloramine treated water, I am concerned. They have been showing a commercial with a little talking fish on TV that says that the new tap water is safe for humans, dogs, cats, and other nonaquatic animals.

Does this mean that the chloramine is more harmful to fish (my betta) than chlorine?
Will I be able to use my same treatment method? In other words, will the chloramine evaporate from the water if given enough time?

I have been using my method with the chlorinated water for about a year and have had no problems with my fish.

Thanks for the help!

I think chloramines are more stable than chlorine so they won't evaporate out overnight like chlorine. I have a bottle of "chlor out" that says it removes both chlorine and chloramines from water...cost me $2.50 at meijers. I like it since it cuts out the need to hold tons of water in reserve for water changes all the time because just add a few drops per gallon and you can use the water pretty much right away long as the temp is ok for the tank.

Check the bottles, some say they remove just chlorine, others both chlorine and chloramine...or at least they used to have the two different kinds...maybe now all things do double duty?

Thanks for the info, Evin!

This is sorta off-topic but...may I please see a pic of your Betta?

Just so I make this post more on-topic, I'll say this...I hope it works out for you and your fish
:-D

Back