What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best subsrate for pygmies

I have gemae on the way in the mail.
So I want to give it the best start I can.
A big glazed ceramic pot like 6 to 8 inches tall
is what I'm going to use.
However I can't find perilite or silica sand.
Is there something that I can buy that is silica sand or some other substrate ?
Could I crush pumice(crushed lava rock)
into a grainy sandy powder then use it ?
I know they like sandy drained substrate,
but I am not sure how to facilitate it.

I really appreciate the help,
Josh M

Hi Josh. I'm able to germinate gemmae on pure peat. They seem to not be picky on their soil mixture.

Depends on the species. Some grow in almost pure sand or laterite peebles with little or no organic material at all. Some like it with more peat and moisture. You can start 'em on just about anything but that may not be the best growing medium for them long term. Repotting is tricky because they are very sensitive to root disturbance.

http://www.cephalotus.net/article.aspx?cid=1&y=2001&m=9&d=12

You're just begging for trouble if you're planning on crushing your own pumice/lava rock unless you have an industrial strength respirator - think silicosis

I know you are out in the middle of nowhere but play sand (for kids sandboxes) or sand blasting sand is usually silica sand (check the label). Try a contractor supply.

Aloha Josh,

volcanic cinders will work. just rinse them. You may not need to crush much. most have lots of fines. You may need to just screen them with some hardware cloth of different sizes to pull out the really huge ones. You might also want to talk to a golf course super. The sand that most use for the sand traps are silica sand. Be suprised that the Honokaa golf course might have a means to get you some nice fine silica sand.
C. Brewer bags that stuff up in 50lb bags. I have found play sand at the hardware stores here also works. http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandPremiumPlay.asp
I have had no luck looking at swimming pool supply shops.....

MTF

Thanks Not A Number,
I thought about a mortar and pestle with water however I don't want to risk silicosis,
I've read about it before but I did not associate the two together.

I'll hit Lowe's, Homedepot, and a nursery tomorrow and see...
Perilite, silica sand or maybe some sort of fine washed river sand.

The specie is D. dichrosepala,
I just randomly bought it since I'm trying to get any pygmy drosera that's considered easy.
they might let me buy it.
The CPs I got from you are doing extremely well,
a few casualties but overall they are doing well and now as you can see I'm really trying to get back into the hobby.

It's been recommended to me to mix perlite and peat and have a top layer of peat. I thought it was odd to not use sand, I'm going with it.

Back