What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Belle of the Ball...?

A few of you out there grow orchids and Nepenthes. I decided to shoot a couple of Phragmipedium cultivars that were in bloom as well as a N. talangensis pitcher that had just opened this week. Just wondering how the Nep would hold up against the Phrags beauty-wise...

The two orchid flowers are: Phrag. Eric Young in the lower left and Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clements 'Coalhurst Fire' in the upper right.

IMG_1929-1.jpg

This N. talangensis from Wistuba was shot just moments after the orchid pic's were done, in the same light. Because it just opened, the peristome is a brighter red and will darken with time.

IMG_1946-1.jpg

I think the talangensis stands up not too badly to the Phrags, what do you think?

EDIT Apparently the censor on this forum won't allow the first name of D. Clements. D*** is the shortened name of Richard.

Lookin good!

Just a couple corrections though
It's Phrag. Eric Young (the Eric Young foundation made the cross)
and
Phrag. Mem. **** Clements

Thanks for the help with that Tony. I had tried to find out how the naming worked on orchids...apparently it is a little different than with Neps.

Orchid hybrids are registered with the RHS. So once a hybrid has been named and registered by either the maker or someone who has permission to name it, it is forever set in stone... Any time that hybrid is remade in the future the offspring will receive the same name. Exceptional clones of a particular hybrid can carry a second name to set it apart from the rest. Well.. technically it should be reserved for exceptional clones, but that is not necessarily the case. But that is another story!

Technically speaking it's Memoria ____ Clements but most abbreviate it to Mem. to make it easier to write on the labels.

Thanks again for the info. I got these orchids back in January 2005. These were the names that were on the tags. Is Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clemons 'Coalhurst Fire' the proper naming of this cultivar then?

Thanks again for the info. I got these orchids back in January 2005. These were the names that were on the tags. Is Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clemons 'Coalhurst Fire' the proper naming of this cultivar then?

Not unusual for a label to get mispelled over time as seedlings change hands..

Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clements 'Coalhurst Fire' is correct. The clonal name is always in ' '
You often hear this hybrid said "clemons".. like lemons which is probably why it is often mispelled - ons -

Phrag. besseae hybrids are some of my favorites.

Thanks again. I'll make the corrections. I just learned something and any day a guy can learn something new, is a good day in my books.

So much red! Haha, they look great. :)

granted i prefer my purple paph but i could easily like those phrags....

Here is an update on the N. talangensis, showing a comparison shot of the pitcher a few days later.

Previously

IMG_1946-1.jpg

A few days later

IMG_2000-1.jpg

These photos were shot at different times of the day, with the previous one shot late in the day and the newest one here taken closer to noon.

The second shot is much closer to the 'true' color of the pitcher.

Is it seriously do rule laden here that you can't say the name of a cultivar with the nickname for Richard in it?
It's like the cross lord valdamort *gasp* which is not be spoken!
Seriously, that is proper in context. Do we have to say it's the **** Van Dyke show?
And BTW why can we say Dyke?

its an automatic word filter.....kicks out the word reguardless of context

Back