What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Begining to race cars

does anyone know anything about racing cars just on a local level. i am just crazy about speed and racing i believe (very deeply) that i would lovee it. we have a local track and everything bur how does one get started in racing?

thanks

BRad

Start tryng to get a job with the crew. Get your foot in the door any way you can.

My parents used to do amatuer racing at Portland International Raceway - a lot of tracks have open days for people to just have fun and get a handle on driving the track, and that's how they got started. I dunno if it's an in to races, but I'd imagine you could at least make use of the practice, and you'll likely meet some like-minded people in the process; I'm sure somebody who hangs out at the track could point you in the right direction.
Best luck, and be safe.
~Joe

The parents of Geoff and Brett Bodine now live in the house I grew up in!
and the old speedway in Chemung, NY recently re-opened, after a 30 year or so shutdown, and the Bodine family had something do with the original track.
and I went to highschool with one of the "Bodine girls"..(its a big family)
and my sister was in the same highschool class as Todd Bodine..
but thats all I know about racing..

Scot

Most drivers start by karting. Have a look for kart tracks near you.

Do any of your family or friends know anyone who's involved with racing at that track?  If so, try to get introduced to a racer or crew member or trank maintainer or whoever.  Ask if you can watch what they do and help clean or whatever grunt work needs to get done.  Show that you're a hard worker and you'll get the opportunity to get more and more involved.  Or, if you're from a wealthy family or come from a racing family, ask for everything without having to pay your dues.  That's why big-time racing sucks.  Especially NASCAR, which markets itself as racing for the little guy, even though it stopped being that at least two decades ago.  Local racing is where it's at and if you can get yourself involved you'll have a great time.

What type of racing are you talking about?Drag racing would be the easiest,as you could work your way up.When you start you can use a stock car because you will be bracket racing.Speed does not count for much in bracket racing,just be consistent with your times.

Jerry

1) Get a car that's so fast it scares you.
2)take it to the local race-track on "open" days. Enter the grudge matches.
3) See if you can get on someone's crew...even as a water-boy. Then you gotta work you way up from there!

well...no karts....lol not here in South Dakota..

and i ant from a wealth family, i live and work on our family farm..

i am interested in either/or/both drag and the longer racing. the main problem is getting a car for the racing.

thanks

BRad

I have a STi.

You should join SCCA and find out where local events are.
You can enter Solo and race against the clock around cones in a parking lot.

From the website: Solo 1 - If you're looking for a high-speed driving test and don't want to rub your pristine fenders agains others, check out Solo1. Pure and simple, it's your against the clock, one driver at a time. Events take place on race tracks, old airports, even up mountains.

Back