What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bath salt drug epidemic??

I have to stop back in here now that I've reread the article and did some research. These bath salts are not your buy in the grocery store name brand products. They drugs designed for the express purpose of getting high. They are being sold legally because they are being marketed as" bath salts". They can be found for sale in places like gas stations and small stores right next to the "natural male enhancemnet" pills and "quick energy powder".
This is not the case of people not knowing what poisons lurk in their gardens or shampoos but one of deliberate marketing, via web sites and such, of a drug.

Yikes, that is what I slightly suspected was the case. The same sort of thing happened a few years ago with a "household cleaner" that was actually just mostly GHB. I don't think anyone used it for cleaning...

but in all reality how is that different from say nutmeg being marketed as a cooking spice when it can be used as an intoxicant or cooking sherry?

The difference is the intent of the product. Nutmeg, unarguably, is a delicious spice. (well delicious is arguable). It has been used in cooking for who knows how long. These bath salts it sounds like, are just mostly drugs with little to no recorded use in "Bathiness"

if the companies are actively targeting minors its one thing....if minors are using substances targeted to adults as alcohol currently is than i dont see the problem, its a parenting issue......

The difference is that alcohol is openly acknowledged as a drug and there are legal age requirements, specified places that sell it, and pretty well enforced laws regarding it's use. These bath salts have no such regulations. Any kid who wants to get high can buy them.

Of course, I think your point was that if the kid wants to get high, that's a parenting issue. The fact is, though, many kids resort to drugs despite how hard their parents try for them not to.

You mean bath salts aren't just salt? Man, if these dumb kids want to trip, just eat some shrooms.

Making something illegal is not the solution, prohibition doesn't work.

I wouldn't worry about people eating nutmeg. Try eating a spoonful, disgusting. Hard to keep it down, so nasty you just want to puke it back up.

Mushrooms aren't necessarily easier to find, especially in the black market. And wild harvesting does involve a pretty heft risk of ingesting some sort of Galerina...

And people already do eat nutmeg. But of course, you're right, it's so disgusting that it can't possible have much of an addiction potential.

How Beevis and Butthead!

I actually read about Thailand or Malaysia or somewhere banning the sniffing of methane for a high, namely cow farts!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Nutmeg? No way no day. I've read it causes dry mouth, hypertension, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and migraines.

Also read this:
"The active ingredient in nutmeg, myristicin, is a delirient, meaning (so it makes you delirious!). However, a myristicin-derivative is a strong irritant called myristical oil, found in mace (you know, that stuff that gets sprayed in people's eyes in riots - Eds.) Nutmeg users often have wicked sinus headache on coming down, as their eyes and ears have effectively been maced. Probably the cause of my two day 'hangover. Finally, myristicin can cause serious damage to your liver, just like overdosing on aspirin/paracetamol."

Nutmeg has been used by sailors and prisoners since WWI IIRC as an intoxicant however it doesn't seem worth the bother. Years ago my old roommate made up a bunch of Nutmeg gel cap pills, he basically just got sick and irritable for about a day and a half. Screwed up a good weekend for the both of us. Definitely no tripping happened and he was certain there would never be a repeat bioassay involving himself and Nutmeg. LOL

I agree that mushrooms are about the safest thing for adults to partake in for recreational experiences. A-holes and psychotics should stay well away from them though, they will surely have a terrible time and maybe develop bigger problems than they already have. For an average person it's less harmful than a night binging on alcohol at a party, provided what they are eating really is a Psilocybe and not some other little brown mushroom's they've found and they're not behind the wheel of a vehicle. Only place people can grow shrooms legally in the US is New Mexico where it was decided that cultivating them for personal use does not equal manufacture of Psilocybin. However it's only a state law and the feds can still bring the hammer down if they get wind of your hobby mushroom patch. Infact, with harsher penalties on a small amount of safe and natural mushrooms than if you had a whole car full of actually dangerous hard drugs like coke, meth, heroin, etc. :crazy:

"life is short

stop and smoke the flowers" :grin:

Designer drugs are scary.

Reminds me of the spice craze recently.

Designer drugs are scary.

Reminds me of the spice craze recently.

funny all of this comes up. on another forum i belong to a post came up today where a member went to a hookah lounge for a calm relaxing evening. turns out the shop owners mix spice into their tobacco and the member had the intense reaction to it. the fact is that its INCREDIBLY illegal to do this and given the odd and extremely varied reactions to spice, its also incredibly dangerous. i have one friend who had to go to the hospital for bleeding lungs after he smoked K2, another "spice" product. JWH-018(the chemical in spice) is almost completely unresearched. it comes on the spice product and can also be sold in an EXTREMELY potent, crystallized form... bad news...

i just recently heard about these bath salts.... honestly. what has this world come to? these legal highs are pretty much meth... they can be sold in a bunch of states and any place ballsey enough to carry it will sell it to anyone... my brothers 13 year old friend bought some for himself.... this crap needs to stop... now.

Alex

EDIT: just to clear up a few things... these "bath salts" are drugs created for and intended to be ingested and make you feel "high"... yea.. you cant sell it as that. so you sell it as bath salts with no warning label.. just. bath salts. and you snort them and you get a high similar to that of cocaine.
nutmeg.... nutmeg TMK is only psychoactive when ignited(ie smoked from a pipe using a lighter) but ive read that too much... will kill you. and too much. isnt much.

Last edited:
You've got the US government to thank for the original K2 / Spice in their research attempts to come up with "fake cannabinoids" so they wouldn't have to legalize medical Marijuana. The research didn't pan out like they'd hoped and it was scrapped but the formula made it out into the public where the K2 marketers picked it up and started creating it. K2 is sold in all the head shops here.

People should stop smoking/eat all this weird stuff. Need to legalize marijuana, so much safer than all this garbage legal high products.

I tried some once. I was exfoliating for three days.

Womp-Womp-Woooomp.

"Control the spice, control the universe." ;)

People should stop smoking/eat all this weird stuff. Need to legalize marijuana, so much safer than all this garbage legal high products.

dont get me wrong im very pro legalization but it wont stop stuff like this, a portion of the population will always chase a different high.....legalize pot and you will still have alot of meth, cocaine and heroin use aswell as the rest of this kind of stuff......legalization of pot wont make ppl stop looking for other ways of getting stoned.....

since we're all talking about weird ways to get high... justjack remined me of something i just heard about : jenkem http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/jenkem.asp

what you do is

1. poop in a jar.
2 pee in the jar.
3 put a balloon over the jar.
4 let ferment and inhale the sewage fumes when the balloon fills up

Eew - A homemade Oracle of Delphi! :D

Ewwww is right!

Anyone ever heard of Khat? Spelling may be off. This came up in an international business discussion. Apparently it is a widely used plant in India or SE Asia (can't remember). The leaves are chewed similar to coca in S. America.

Apparently, it causes a mild sense of euphoria and is relatively harmless in it's unrefined/natural state.

Last edited:
Khat is VERY popular in the Somali & Muslim community where my dad used to live. He asked once what the bundles of sticks were and the guy at the shop said "it is spices for the women" but when I went down and looked I said "That's Khat the guys at work chew it all the time." Somalis do not drink caffeine but they do chew Khat and once they start feeling the effects they get very chatty and will talk your ears off! Supposedly the fresh stuff is far more psychoactive, the dried sticks are pretty crummy, I prefer drinking a bunch of Kona coffee! LOL

Of course the US government has outlawed Khat just don't tell 'em you can find (Khat) seeds on ebay...

More khat info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat

This chart from the British medical Journal the Lancet on the Khat page above which rates drugs and their dependence/Physical harm rates is quite a nice graphic to study and consider which are legal and which are illegal.
380px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg.png

Last edited:
only thing is i wouldnt bet my life on that chart, anabolic steriods and solvents can do nasty crap to your body, you would likely be better off smoking than huffing solvents......

Yes, I wouldn't suggest huffing solvents at all!

I did this once when I was like 10. Keep in mind that I lived a fairly innocent childhood and didn't realize what I was doing. I just liked the smell of gasoline. Well I took a few big wiffs and the next thing I remember is my mom pulling me off the floor of our garage. I told her what I did (as I said, it was pretty innocent) and she warned me that it was very dangerous. Lesson learned.

The damage solvents do is immediate and irreversable killing brain cells on contact.

I did this once when I was like 10. Keep in mind that I lived a fairly innocent childhood and didn't realize what I was doing. I just liked the smell of gasoline. Well I took a few big wiffs and the next thing I remember is my mom pulling me off the floor of our garage. I told her what I did (as I said, it was pretty innocent) and she warned me that it was very dangerous. Lesson learned.

The damage solvents do is immediate and irreversable killing brain cells on contact.

if we start comparing stupid crap we did when little either cause we didnt know better or because we thought we were invincible the most likely conclusion reached is its a miracle we didnt kill ourselves before reaching adulthood......

:-O

I hear you. LOL.

This story reminds me of when I was little, like five or six. I've always had bad allergies and my mom could never make me blow my nose, so I would constantly sniff. Then one day I saw a commercial saying that sniffing kills brain cells. I started crying and my mom asked me what was wrong and I told her that I was retarded.

Now thats childhood innocence lol.

Back