What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bamboo

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I think I want to start growing bamboo, I would like to find a clumping species and the taller the better. It needs to be able to survive zone 8 conditions.

Before I look anywhere else I thought I'd give a try here first. PM me and we can make a deal.

PMed

I can get you bamboo here, but I warn you keep it away from septic tanks and it is very invasive! It is illegal to grow in Fla because it is so invasive. Once you put it down you will never get rid of it. Be careful you may not like it. :poke:

bamboo grows nea a foot per DAY so yeah...the orientals used it to train aand punish so its hardy...

I can get you bamboo here, but I warn you keep it away from septic tanks and it is very invasive! It is illegal to grow in Fla because it is so invasive. Once you put it down you will never get rid of it. Be careful you may not like it. :poke:

If it's invasive, then I think it's not clump-forming????

There are many different types of bamboo. Two categories are clumping and running. The clumping grows closer together and does not spread like the running type. That's why I want the clumping, so I don't have those problems. This is the type of bamboo I would love to have.

ma-davebamboo.jpg

No that's not me, I stole the pic off the net.

I have a bamboo collection - if you want to grow running types then you can install a rhizome barrier (lots of work!)

ALL sorts of shapes and sizes of bamboo, from the small ones that are about a foot, like sasa, the weeping mexican varites, to the huge moso timber bamboos... all color ranges too -black, red, striped, verigated... blue is one of my favorites.

I would still suspect they are still invasive regardless of form, but I could be wrong. Good luck. I do think it is pretty and love making things out of bamboo. I want to decorate a room with different bamboo items one day. So again good luck.

Mexican weeping bamboo is awsome like non invasive it grows pretty nicely I helped my dad plant it as a privacy barrier then I moved then 6 months later I was working in hawaii(I live and lived in oreogn when I worked in hawaii) down the street from my old house the mexican weeping bamboo was very pretty but it is pricey though.

I have a bamboo collection - if you want to grow running types then you can install a rhizome barrier (lots of work!)

ALL sorts of shapes and sizes of bamboo, from the small ones that are about a foot, like sasa, the weeping mexican varites, to the huge moso timber bamboos... all color ranges too -black, red, striped, verigated... blue is one of my favorites.

You got any pics? I'd love to see your collection!

Ozzy -

It sounds like you would be looking for either Bambusa textilis or Bambusa oldhamii. These are both called Giant Timber Bamboo in the nursery trade. Bambusa is also the clumping genus of bamboos, so these would be your best choice.

I have a clump of Giant Timber Bamboo (not sure which species) in the back yard; it was in a 70-gallon pot when I got it, but it's producing canes up to 30 feet tall and 3+ inch diameter now (four years later).

Keep in mind that even though these are 'clumpers,' they still will continue to spread out. Mine has about doubled in footprint size since I put it in the ground...

Good growing!

Mike

I see this bamboo everyday! I love hawaii!

I wouldn't touch bamboo with a 10-foot (bambu) pole.

Nepenthes you make me sad :( I lived in the bigisland for aloong time and your by a big city at the same time it is the best of both worlds.

Well come back, nobody said for you to go.:)

Back