What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AVG. the free version

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
At the behest of a few friends, I installed AVG. I know that one gets what one pays for, but how decent is it? Or maybe I should ask how long will it be effective?

I have read from a few computer forums that it is good... They have consistant updates to keep it up to date even... Just make sure to do them.

Some of my family members refuse to pay from antivirs, so they generally either get my last years norton, or I install that on their systems. have never had any more problems than i have had with norton (or in the old days, mcafee)

I'd say you're in good hands.
smile.gif

ZoneAlarm is a good firewall to go along with it (or any virus protection) by the way. It is free also.
Andrew

AVG is great. It doesn't hog resources and sits quietly scanning emails and downloads. It detects viruses very well and you get new updates every 7-10 days.

I can't think of any advantage you'd get by getting the pay version.

AVG is good
Keep the library updated.

Thank you for the input! I also have Zone Alarm - the free version. What I can't figure out is why Ad-Aware hasn't picked up any new spyware for quite awhile. Are things that good or has it reached its capacity to think outside its own box?

Hi Jim,
I use AVG free and in my opinion it is better than Norton AV.
About Ad-awares, I'm using the one from microsoft, but when I get into real trouble I've got a tool named HijackThis, simple yet powerful tool which simply scans your registry and lets you delete whatever you find suspicious.

Hey Jim, I use the free download of AVG. My computer is my work computer and it has to stay as secure as possible so I don't send infected files back to clients. My boss, who is a computer programer and a genius when it comes to anything computer, recommended this. He said that Norton is horrible. I love AVG, I haven't had any problems with it since I installed it, and it runs and updates all by itself. Can't beat that!
cool.gif

Back