What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic misters

On a related note to the automatic watering thread, does anyone use any automatic misters?

I'm especially interested in using automatic misters to keep live sphagnum healthy. I love live sphagnum as it prevents algae growth, provides an early warning in case of TDS issues, and looks cool. I like to top dress as many plants as possible with live sphagnum. The problem is that the moss tends to dry up too quickly unless misted every day or two. I grow plants indoors so the humidity isn't high enough to keep sphagnum happy unless it's overly moist or periodically misted.

I have been considering this too, as I want a more self sustaining setup for my terrarium neps.

I haven't done this yet, bit plan to explore a DIY setup and kits that can take a microsprinklers. Iny case my setup is small, so need something that has a small footprint and doesn't need a lot of connections. This one is kind of fancy:

https://www.dripdepot.com/product/claber-aqua-magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humanbian, I'm also looking for something small as most of my plants are indoors. The system you linked looks pretty cool though I wonder if sphagnum would benefit from misting more than from a drip system.

nepenthesl0ve, please tell me more! What drip system do you use and on what schedule? Do you use one mister per plan or can each mister cover multiple plants? Is it indoors or outdoors?

Totally agree that drip by itself isn't sufficient for your jeeds, but drip irrigation systems can be outfitted with a spraying/misting emitter, like this one: DIG 8825BB Fogger Mister on Barb Micro Sprayer, Black, Purple https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P4TDNY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ATXVDbXTGXA19

For me, I like the idea of having the setup be flexible enough to do all drip, all misting, or a combination of the two!

humanbian, I'm also looking for something small as most of my plants are indoors. The system you linked looks pretty cool though I wonder if sphagnum would benefit from misting more than from a drip system.

nepenthesl0ve, please tell me more! What drip system do you use and on what schedule? Do you use one mister per plan or can each mister cover multiple plants? Is it indoors or outdoors?

sure, check out my threads last update. the system is called mistking and i use 20 misters for 200 plants. the ultra fine mist floats down over the plants softly. the humidity in room is so high from it that the plants do not need to be watering more than once or twice per week. this is an enclosed room not grown as houseplants. i could run it longer but that could make room too wet where i dont want. right now running 45 seconds on and two hours between each misting.

My Indoor Highland Greenroom

https://www.mistking.com/Ultimate-Value-Misting-System-UVMS4.html

the pump inluded is a powerhouse, can run dry without breaking and mine was purchased 7 years ago, used a couple years then stored for handful of years and worked like charm when i took it back out.

Thanks nepenthesl0ve! That Mistking setup looks neat. How large is the pump? Id like something with a small footprint but it sounds like this is pretty heavy duty.

Also your thread link seems to be broken, or not found?

I am working on a system myself. I have just done a trial run now and it works great.

Misting heads and hose:

Misting Cooling System,4/7mm Watering Tubing,Misting Nozzle Sprinkler,Faucet Adapter Outdoor Garden Patio Greenhouse Micro Drip Irrigation Kit (5M Watering Set)​

Input water filter:

Exo Terra Filter Replacement for Monsoon RS400 High-Pressure Rainfall System​

pump:

Aquatec 6800 series Booster pump with Transformer 115V/60Hz​

This pump is very quiet. You need a high pressure pump to make the misting heads work properly.

Last edited:
Back