What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids In Winter

I haven't been a very good plant grower and have mostly neglected my plants this winter, besides bringing them in for the winter. I noticed today that I have aphids on about half of them. I pulled off all the ones I saw, but I don't have enough water to flood all my plants. What do you guys recommend this time of the year?

I have used Garden Safe Fungicide 3 (smells kinda like salad dressing to me :p) for the occasional aphid problem and Bayer Advanced Garden Rose and Flower Insect Killer, which is a systemic insecticide, for persistant infestations. Both work well but may cause the leaves to distort a little. Nothing harmful, just unsightly/odd looking. The new leaves grow out normal.

I don't see why you can't just get more water. Distilled water is available at most grocery stores and at least some drug stores. Putting the plant in a bucket full of water for a day took care of my aphid problem a while back, and since it doesn't involve any pesticides it seems like the best method to me.

Back