What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using Firefox?

I've just installed FireFox, people tell me it's more secure to use than I.E. (it does have a lot more cutsomizable security features than I.E. though I don't know if I have a hidden/anonymous proxy with my MS Firewall or not. How do you know if you are truly hidden from I P spies online or not? Like every time I send a online post to message boards terra forums, the sculptng forums, etc. I get the message "You are about to send a message to an unencrypted connection the information you send can be read by a third party. Are you sure you want to continue?"

View -> Sidebar -> bookmarks

There is a sidebar add-on to make the sidebar work like Opera's. Everybody steals features from Opera who usually has the best features first.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1027

The security message you get means you are connecting through a non-SSL (secure socket layer) page. There should be a checkbox on the message window to suppress the message in the future. If the page you are on is a SSL page there will be a little padlock icon on the bottom status bar of Firefox.

Firefox is the only way to fly, in my opinion. Unless you're work uses a Microsoft web based email client.

xvart.

Yeah, firefox all the way. Some good add-ons to look for are Ad-Block and FasterFox, plus the millions of customized skins. It is the best out there, IMHO.

Been using firefox since beta. As the other stated it's the best and rarely crashes.

Definitely prefer FireFox to IE. My add ons are Adblock plus, all-in-one side, Bookmark Duplicate Detector, Fullerscreen, NoScript (blocks Java scripts from running 'till you OK them) and Update Bookmark. There's a few others, but these are the ones I recommend for most people.

Yeah, firefox all the way. Some good add-ons to look for are Ad-Block and FasterFox, plus the millions of customized skins. It is the best out there, IMHO.

Omg fasterfox != cool. That has caused me so many problems from people installing that, then faster fox running ahead in all my programs clicking 'delete item' links for you.

Firefox is awesome though, if you have a work computer, laptop, desktop or more. Try the foxmarks extension! Finally solved the problem of finding something cool at work then having to look for it again while at home.

I run Ubuntu on my 900 MHZ pentium 4 with 512 ram,
I love firefox well I use IE on my windows comps(my moms laptop and mine)
But it runs perfectly on such a slow computer that I have had for years windows died so I thought forget windows so ubuntu and firefox is a perfect mix I think.
So if you have a slow computer load with ubuntu then forget windows :D

How about Ghostsurf for being anonymous online? Does it actually work to hide your IP address and actually make you "invisible". I've been fooling with proxy servers to try and get invisible for free but when I check IP reporting sites it can tell it's a proxy and what my real one is, what's the point then? ???

Try the proxy test at All NetTools. There's a few other sites the offer the same type of test but this is the one that I can always remember off the top of my head.

http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox

Most of the "free" proxy sites that give true "anonymous" browsing tend to get shut off quickly. Usually they are just holes or oversights in some companies proxy.

If you trust going to a .ru site there's plenty to read about proxies here:

http://www.freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy/faq/index.htm

firefox 3.0 beta 2. Its an amazing browser. Initially during the times of firefox 1...I was unreceptive of the idea. However...once I started using FF 2 last year. After the little nifty things such as automatic filled in forms....better bookmark integration, skinability...I never look back to IE anymore. I can't wait for the final Firefox 3 to come out. Its pretty cool already at the beta stage.

Indeed. In all my YouTube videos I always recommend Firefox.

I'm going to check out Ghostsurf 2007 tomorrow and see if it eliminates my IP presence. I checked my threat attempts log from my firewall and there's just so many thwarted efforts I think (hope) if I have an anonymous IP I won't have such things cos I shop online a lot and surf even more.

I've used both....no matter what, I get lots of ad crap (idk how, since I only go to facebook, the CP forums, and my gmail/school-based email). They're both equally slow for me as well, and I'm not nerdy enough to need the open-sourcedness or blah blah blah add-on capability of firefox. Plus...FF just looks funny to me and displays things awkwardly

Safari for me. Firefox and Safari are great and support javascript features that Internet Explorer 7 just doesn't want to know about. IE7 is nice to use, but hell to produce websites for.

Firefox is the best of the 2 for sure. If you want to pay though, you can't beat Opera. Last time I saw it you could pay for it or get an ad supported version. It is actually faster than Firefox from a cold startup.

firefox 3.0 beta 2. Its an amazing browser. Initially during the times of firefox 1...I was unreceptive of the idea. However...once I started using FF 2 last year. After the little nifty things such as automatic filled in forms....better bookmark integration, skinability...I never look back to IE anymore. I can't wait for the final Firefox 3 to come out. Its pretty cool already at the beta stage.

Amazing for sure, I'm using 3.0b2 and there are plenty of kinks to iron out. I'm excited though as this beta version hasn't crashed on me yet!

Opera went ad-free a couple versions ago.

Safari rocks! So much that Microsoft gave up trying to support IE on Macs.

I'm going to check out Ghostsurf 2007 tomorrow and see if it eliminates my IP presence. I checked my threat attempts log from my firewall and there's just so many thwarted efforts I think (hope) if I have an anonymous IP I won't have such things cos I shop online a lot and surf even more.

If that's what you're trying to do you'll want to look into TOR, http://www.torproject.org/ there are firefox plug ins for that as well.

Ghostsurf blows, I use their proxy settings and I can't get anywhere online, I know I can set it to ignore my bank, admin page and terraforums, etc but I can't cruise search engines with it on secure mode so what's the use - everything just times out. What a scam, of course BB won't take it back cos I've opened the pakage...
Is Tor free I don't wanna pay any more I guess if it doesn't work anyway.

see my signature...:(

Back