What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have spec x mira?

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I have one of these on the way, finally. I have yet to see a picture of what they look like though. I imagine it will be fairly colorful. Anyone else growing this one?

Hi,

I received this one recently. I usually don't go for hybrids, but after seeing photos of the lovely mother plant (BE's giant N. spectabilis) I thought the combo with N. mira would be a good one. I might live to regret this statement, but I am confident that it will be a show stopper. Since they are seed plants there will be variation, currently mine seems to take after the mother - since it is very "spectabilish".

0805spectabilisxmira.jpg

Regards,

Christer

Beautiful plant! It's definitely looking very much like a N. spectabilis, but maybe that will change once it matures.

On a side note, I have a N. spectabilis that's finally settling in and producing a new leaf and pitcher. I can't wait for it to start churning out the goods!

The colors are just like spectabilis. Your hybrid's pitchers look great, and I hope you enjoy them in the future.

It's a beauty. Thanks for posting the pic. It will be interesting to see how the mature pitchers turn out.

This one has been a little disappointing to me so far. Too much like spectabilis and not enough mira influence. The seller has added a pic to his site that looks like what I was hoping for. Perhaps as it matures it will get better.

Well, here's the latest pitcher from my spec x mira after recently opening. Takes a long time to inflate each pitcher. Basically a fat spec. I've seen others pics of this hybrid and there is definitely some variation in color and shape. I've overall been a little disappointed in my specific plant, but the latest pitcher is finally showing a little potential. The pitcher is about 4".

4-6-13.jpg

4-6-14.jpg

4-6-15.jpg

THATS ABSOLUTLEY POSITIVELY NON-NEGATIVELY THE MOST BEAUTIFL PITCHER I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A WHILE Great Job My firend :)

How is it on growing? Spectabilis, in my opinion, can be a bit tricky. Mine goes from periods of producing pitchers to long breaks, and then back again. I would be interested in picking one of these guys up if most of them are easy(-er) to care for and maintain the Spectabilis coloration in maturity.

Those colors are stunning! Very nice.

That's a pretty sexy pitcher. Great peristome. Your Nepenthes are always great, and just wondering, how's your spectabilis x aristo? Mine is starting to look a bit more mature.

I'm finding this hybrid to be steady grower, but not fast. Also, my plant takes a long time to inflate the pitchers, but they do last a long time. Unfortunately, the growth tip took severe damage from a yet unknown cause, and it has taken it months to recover. I'm hoping it puts out a basal sometime soon just in case.

Hey capensis, my spec x aristo is doing great. It also is just now starting to show signs of mature pitcher characteristics. One of my favorite neps.

Looking good. If yours is anything like my specimen the peristome should color up beautifully later on. I just love mine.

Regards,

Christer

Wow! I love the colors! Very nice plant.

Hey christer do you have a pic of yours?

Nightsky.... you're disappointed in that?!

It's such a beautiful cross.

Heh - I was disappointed until this pitcher :)

wow i would trade off all my neps just for that one
that is gorgous

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Here are two photos of my plant. The first pitcher is the most recent, and the other is the previous one. As can be seen the lid is on the older pitcher (and a few before that) came out a bit weirdly shaped. Being an older photo, the peristome has now colored up more and is all-red with the stripes.

09aprspectxmira1.jpg
09aprspectxmira2.jpg

Regards,

Christer

Yes - your colors are fantastic! I've noticed the strange lid shape on mine also. Thanks for posting yours, hope mine looks like yours someday.

Back