What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have rajah x veitchii?

I saw this nepenthes for sale on California Carnivores. It seems pricy for me, but I think it sounds really cool. Has anyone got one, and if so, how are yours doing?

I have one, but I'm not sure it is a rajah x veitchii. It has just started forming adult-ish pitchers, and I swear it looks more like robcantleyi x veitchii or something.

Things should be more clear in a few weeks, since I also have two robcantleyi x veitchii that should soon be forming pitchers and I will be able to compare. Or the rajah x veitchii will form another pitcher that looks more like the pictures I see online.

But if what I have is a rajah x veitchii, it is a very easy grower - and I'm in pretty lowland conditions. Insists on humidity though.

Edit: This is what it looked like a few days ago when the pitcher had just opened. Now the peristome is slightly more red. I'll try to get another picture

D2bvMyWWoAAp6Lp.jpg

Last edited:
Another picture.
D2-d6CTXQAArb-o.jpg

The color seems to have more rajah in it now, so who knows, maybe it is a rajah x veitchii after all. At least that is what I purchased it as.

If it is, it is a very easy grower but won't pitcher in dry weather (humidity got 20% in the winter this time, and it was away from the misters). Good news is it immediately started inflating a pitcher once it rose to 40% or so. Without any fuss. Happily taken summer temperatures here - daytime can go up to 38C or daily in the summer here. Can't comment on cold, because what passes for cold in our climate is called "cool daytime temps" by most growers in US/Europe. Maybe a month or two with nights going below 20C.

Slows a bit in peak summer, but that is about it. Definitely not come close to dying at any point.

I think it would prefer more cool and humid conditions than I give it and would probably grow forever after and not look back at all.

I do seem so rajah too! How big do you think it’ll get, and do you recommend it?

I see no rajah in that plant, sorry to say. N. robcantleyi possibly, sure, but a rajah hybrid will have a very long mouth, narrower scalloped peristome, and be extremely tubby, not as elongate as that.

i have one but it hasnt settled in and begun pitchering yet

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/fQ9IV53"><a href="//imgur.com/fQ9IV53"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's mine. I repotted it when the pitcher was developing, so the next one might be better. Still kinda small as well. The lid is huge though

Last edited:
Any updates? Also how’s the growth rate?

Last edited:
i have rajah x veitchii growing under intermediate condition. As it gets warmth night the growth increases with new leaf coming around 3-4 weeks with pitcher fully open around 6-8 weeks. definitely can tolerate the warmer temp
growing it in a more open mix of perlite/ kanuma/ akadama with maybe 10% mixture of peat and lfs
will post a pic of the older pitcher and the recently open pitcher once i got home as im typing this from office

first two are the older pitcher

IMG_7354.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

the last two are the latest one while the one below when its not yet opened

IMG_7365.jpg

IMG_7414.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

do you have any other rajah hybrids?

some are still tiny but i have:
rajah x burb
rajah x (burb x eddie)
rajah x mira
rajah veitchii

I see no rajah in that plant, sorry to say. N. robcantleyi possibly, sure, but a rajah hybrid will have a very long mouth, narrower scalloped peristome, and be extremely tubby, not as elongate as that.

Yeah. What I'm thinking. I purchased it from CZ as rajah x veitchii and they aren't replying to any of my emails asking for clarifications. Probably got scammed. But before I point fingers, want to wait to see more pitchers and be certain.

I’m wanting to see who gets the biggest pitchers first :) let the competition begin!

first two are the older pitcher

View attachment 4888

View attachment 4889

the last two are the latest one while the one below when its not yet opened

View attachment 4890

View attachment 4891

View attachment 4892

Some of my newer pitchers look remarkably similar to these. Who knows, maybe it is some stage in between.... Will post more pics. They have started looking slightly different from before. Not as slender. Also the coloration in mine is getting really rajah-ish - not really seen in robcantleyi (which also I have though currently not pitchering, since I stupidly broke the newest tendril that started after summer heat was done). Will be really good if mine turns out to be a rajah x veitchii after all. Waiting for more pitchers.

Another picture.
D2-d6CTXQAArb-o.jpg

The color seems to have more rajah in it now, so who knows, maybe it is a rajah x veitchii after all. At least that is what I purchased it as.

If it is, it is a very easy grower but won't pitcher in dry weather (humidity got 20% in the winter this time, and it was away from the misters). Good news is it immediately started inflating a pitcher once it rose to 40% or so. Without any fuss. Happily taken summer temperatures here - daytime can go up to 38C or daily in the summer here. Can't comment on cold, because what passes for cold in our climate is called "cool daytime temps" by most growers in US/Europe. Maybe a month or two with nights going below 20C.

Slows a bit in peak summer, but that is about it. Definitely not come close to dying at any point.

I think it would prefer more cool and humid conditions than I give it and would probably grow forever after and not look back at all.

from the pics i agree with the other, it more rob or veitchii than rajah.

Update. After newer pitchers, I've started suspecting this is either a burbidgeae x robcantleyi or veitchi x something else (someone suggested platychila), but not rajah x veitchii.

Back