What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone grow N. Tenax?

N. tenax is a lowland from Australia, so a windowsill is probably not the best option. They seem to stay decently compact, so a large terrarium may be a good option.

However, considering we don't know when the seller harvested the seeds, it is not likely that just 5 seeds will provide any germination. This is the problem with buying Nepenthes seeds online.

I would strongly suggest against ordering these. This seed is at least second-hand and probably not N. tenax if it is Nepenthes seed at all.

I would strongly suggest against ordering these. This seed is at least second-hand and probably not N. tenax if it is Nepenthes seed at all.

Come to think of it, is there actually any N. tenax in cultivation? I remember reading about it, and I think the article I was reading mentioned that the areas where N. tenax grows are kept in secret. I suppose its possible someone could have smuggled seeds or plants out of Australia, if they found the growing sight of N. tenax.

- - - Updated - - -

Also flora, if you want to try your hand at growing lots of different CPs from seed, you should join the ICPS. It's only 30 USD per year, and you get access to the seed bank, where seed packets only cost something in the $5 range. Sometimes they will get donations of seeds from some pretty rare plants.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, is there actually any N. tenax in cultivation? I remember reading about it, and I think the article I was reading mentioned that the areas where N. tenax grows are kept in secret. I suppose its possible someone could have smuggled seeds or plants out of Australia, if they found the growing sight of N. tenax.

- - - Updated - - -

Also flora, if you want to try your hand at growing lots of different CPs from seed, you should join the ICPS. It's only 30 USD per year, and you get access to the seed bank, where seed packets only cost something in the $5 range. Sometimes they will get donations of seeds from some pretty rare plants.

N. tenax is in cultivation; EP occasionally has cuttings. I'm not sure how secretive locations are kept, but from what I understand much of Cape York is national park.

Perhaps I'm thinking of another species that I read about. Although it is good to know that tenax is in cultivation, I would love to try it out if I could ever get a hold of it.

$8 US for five seeds?!?! You've got to be joking. Absurd. The odds are you wont get a single plant out of them, and if you do, odds are it won't be N. tenax.

That is all really good information. Thank you guys! I'm glad that it is in cultivation, this is a really neat looking nepenthes.
I will definitely look into the ICPS, Benurmanii, i didn't realize that you could get seeds from them. I would really like to try growing seeds of any CP I can starting later this year, im just trying to learn more until then.
If you were to buy seeds from a reputable source, how many Nepenthes seeds would be a good number to get plants?

That is all really good information. Thank you guys! I'm glad that it is in cultivation, this is a really neat looking nepenthes.
I will definitely look into the ICPS, Benurmanii, i didn't realize that you could get seeds from them. I would really like to try growing seeds of any CP I can starting later this year, im just trying to learn more until then.
If you were to buy seeds from a reputable source, how many Nepenthes seeds would be a good number to get plants?

I can't speak from experience, but it seems that most people find 20-30 freshly harvested seeds to get an acceptable amount of germination.

Let us know when you've identified "a reputable source" LOL

Let us know when you've identified "a reputable source" LOL

Is there even such a thing when it comes to Nepenthes seeds? I'm sure even the ICPS seed bank gets donated expired seed all the time. I've always wanted to get into growing Nepenthes, but the business seems so sketchy, and if you avoid that, pricey.

Is there even such a thing when it comes to Nepenthes seeds? I'm sure even the ICPS seed bank gets donated expired seed all the time. I've always wanted to get into growing Nepenthes, but the business seems so sketchy, and if you avoid that, pricey.

Growing Nepenthes species from seed is tricky in that pretty much the only sources for seed are Indonesian folks who sell on fleabay, and some are better than others, but none of them is truly "reliable". You can get seed lots that don't germinate at all, and plenty of times you will get seeds that germinate and turn out to be totally mislabeled, etc, etc. If gambling is your thing, then that's fine. But you have to remember that basically you are paying these people to poach from natural populations, and since there is no regulation of these activities, there's no way to know for sure how badly these collecting practices are impacting the in situ populations. For all we know, these collectors are stripping the sites of every seed pod they can find, and we all know how that is likely to play out.

Note: Yes, I am speaking from experience, and yes - I once bought a small number of seed pods myself, but I will no longer fund these poaching activities. I've decided I can no longer view seed collection for hobby growing as a benign activity. Everyone gets to make their own choices in this matter, of course - but that's my opinion.

Back