What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any nepenthes lookin' for love?

I bought a large ventricosa bush over the winter and noticed that some flowers were thinking of popping out. No pitchers, but there were flowers. Well, light has picked up so the plant seems to be picking up the pace a bit and it has FOUR flowers forming at this time.

I am not sure of the gender, but I am quite confident that I would not be lucky enough to stumble upon a female at a greenhouse (especially not one this...um..."ready"). I wanted to start putting out feelers now to see if anyone had some gals that were showing signs of flowering in the event that this guy is indeed a guy.

my foxy lady vent is lookin for sum lovin'! :D :-))

Although...straight vent's might not that amazing...it's Leilani's "giant form" though...she's 2-4 weeks for being *cough* available.

Personally I think this would be a great mix. I'd love to see more genetic variation floating around with ventricosa's. They are amazing hard / showy neps, and some of the other varieties out there that are just amazing. We're just flooded with the clones at the moment.

Hybrids are fun and great, but if we had more variety of the same species to pick from as the basic building blocks, we could do a better job. 8)

Nate

I agree with Nate. New hybrids are always exciting, and we could always use more genetic variety. I say go for it! (connect 4) [Anybody remember that commercial?]

It appears my ventricosa is a boy ! I can't remember where it came from, jimscott ? Will try to get a pic posted tonight for you all. I'd be happy to collect and send off some pollen too.

ok I think I have a female vent going on here. Come on lets get some species seeds here!

I need some pictures of female flowers because I have only seen males.

Ya, I think a vent. x vent. would be a great thing. You never know if it will be better then any hybrid cross could have been.

i say do some both. HOWEVER! neither are my plants, so i have no say in any matter. But some 'cosa hybrids and species would be nice in my opinion

HPIM0646.jpg

finally got a pic, just wanted to confirm that this is a ventrata ??

HPIM0639.jpg

another

HPIM0642.jpg

the flower

It's definitely a male, but it looks like a ventricosa to me.

I made some ventricosa seed a couple years ago from some rather ordinary looking parents and what I have left looks more interesting than either parent. I'll try and post some pics tonight.

This year I have some better looking parents I'm planning to cross:
CSUF Clone (male):
P1060001.jpg

with

EP Clone C
P1080221.jpg

Both parents get dark purple interiors to their pitchers.

Here's what this female's flower spike looks like in bud:
P1080222.jpg

My bad, I meant to say ventricosa like earlier and missed it. This is actually the 1st nice pitcher it's put out in a couple years of abuse.

I updated my previous pics to pics I took yesterday. Here are my small seed grown pitchers. These have survived my attempts (neglect) at growing dwarf Nepenthes and hopefully will start increasing in size again. I think they look pretty good for immature pitchers.
This one is squat and tubby. I'm not sure what happenned to the ventricosa waist on it:
P1080269.jpg

This one looks more normal, but I like the round, toothy, yellow peristome and two-tone pitcher:
P1080270.jpg

Anyone else have some larger examples of the seed I distributed?

So I heartily agree - let's get more seed grown ventricosas out there!

Of course, there are some really good looking ventricosa hybrids out there too, like this ventricosa x TM:
P1080239.jpg

Nice pics !

Just bumping this one. It seems I'm used to the Drosera, VFT and Utric flowers popping in a few days to a week after they unfurl. This male venticosa seems to take forever. I realize it's only getting morning sun and 70's ish temps but good grief boys lets get on with it ! If anyone is still interested I'll post here again when this thing finally pops.

I don't know if mine is going to finish flowering or not. There really hasn't been much growth, but it has been much colder out and the sun has been avoiding my neighborhood so maybe it'll pick back up.

That Ventricosa X TM is awesome looking! what a cool hybrid

Back