What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any guesses on this Sarracenia ?

Like everyone -- well maybe everyone, I have a lot of Sarracenia with faded or lost tags. I am hoping that some people out there can help me find the lost names -- here is the first . The pictcher is not as orange as in looks like in the picture -- actually it is more burgundy than orange and is about 6 to 8 inches tall.
Thanks

Plants001-1.jpg

Possibly a catesbei?

IMG_0725.jpg

Hi Jim

I don't think so I have a catesbei and it doesn't really look anything like it. I guess my picture is a little misleading in more than just the color.

This is a picture from Sunbelle exotics -- it looks very similar to my plant -- they say it is a (rubra x gilpini) gilpini=nat. hyb. of psittacina x rubra. It might even be this plant for all I know -- I got mine in a grab bag of Sarracenia rhizomes.

rubraxgilpini.gif

Nothing jumped out about this one -- but I did see one that identifies a different plant -- the S Cobra's Nest

I don't exactly have the largest Sarracenia collection going! But it sure looked similar to those from yours.

I think it's Rubra x. Purpurea.

Hi Nikki - would you happen to remember where or who the particular sarr grab bag was from? It may lead to clues as to what the parentage is. These days with all the crosses, it can be difficult to have a positive ID. Do you have more photos by any chance? A side shot/ whole plant shot?

Heya Jim! Your catesbaei will most likely look quite different from nikki's plant once yours is a little more mature. Young pitchers will look similar but just wait till yours takes off! :)

Hi RCO911

The grab bag was purchased on ebay. The person offered 5 plants for $10.00 -- turned out to be more like 25 plants. Sucha bargain They were sent from Portland. That is about all I know ???

I can take a few other pictures, but since I am not in Santa Cruz and have already had a few frosts, the pitchers are not as perky as they were when this pictures were taken.

I know that complex hybrids are diffucult to ID -- but it is fun to try.

Back