What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any chance of ID-ing the two at this moment?

Cindy

Staff member
I planted Bohemian Garnet and Red Piranha without labelling them. Now I can't really tell them apart because both are clumping like crazy... :-(

Anyone can help? I have removed the little offshoots, leaving behind the largest plantlets.

Plant 1

Plant 2

Plant 3

Plant 4

I also have the All Red giant form but the traps are more distinctly different (to me! :blush:).

Last edited:
The Bohemian Garnet should be the ones with the more standard looking teeth while the teeth on the Red Piranha plants will lean more towards the shortened "Dente" or "Sawtooth" type.

Last edited:
The problem with 'Red Piranha' and the Dentate traps is that depending on the age of the plant and the time of the year you get regular looking "teeth" with the thin cilia ("fingers").

The "teeth" on 'Sawtooth' also lack the thin cilia and are more finely divided giving a fringed look. Plants #1 & #3 have a faint suggestion of this but it could be too soon to tell. Another stated characteristic of the 'Bohemian Garnet' is that it produces a great number of offshoots (10-30 in a single growing season).

In the image below (from Wikimedia Commons) Dentate teeth ideally would look like the "plain tooth" (upper left) while Sawtooth teeth more like "great American tooth" (lower left):
Crosscut_saw_tooth_patterns.jpg

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v29n1p14_21.html#sawtooth
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v29n1p14_21.html#dentate

Right now they're too small to tell apart, but it will be very easy when they get older. Bohemian Garnet is short and stout, low-growing with a small stature. Red Piranha is tall and lanky with larger traps and floppy leaves (sometimes).

Well, looks like the BG's I got a few years back were misidentified. They didn't look like anything like the ICPS pic except for the color.

Thanks for the help! I guess that I'll have to let them grow up a little. The issue is the heat here at night...VFTs seem to multiply non-stop via offshoots and given that Bohemian Garnet is prolific, I might have to wait for the cooler season to come. I have the Bristle Tooth multiply so much till I don't see it anymore i.e. hundreds of plantlets that are not distinguishable. Just wanna highlight though that the issue arises from hot nights which is not an issue with summer in temperate climate...hot nights for me is 82-88F.

Those kind of temperatures can present challenges. What about Darlingtonia? According to some root cooling is just a myth so you should be able to grow them regardless of soil temperatures, provided you can provide dormancy. Accordingly they shouldn't be any more difficult to grow than VFTs or Sarracenia.

I haven't tried Darling Toenails (word play intended) since 15 years ago. LOL

Even D. capensis dies after a while in my conditions due to the lack in night temperature drop so there are just species I won't invest money in. Apartment growing in tropical lowland climate during the hot months = Sauna

I remember very clearly posting here that I found out what they are based on my posts on the local forum when they first arrived. But that post seemed to have gone POOF!

Here is what they are, in case I forget again.

Last edited:
They are beautiful! Yr akai ryu are stunning the one we have in our program for the kids are still kind of green with some red tint here and their.. The kids love the colorful vft's - we have a red pirahna its small but its color is beautiful like yours are. Im hoping to trade to get a few other colorful VFTs for the kids and bohemian garnet is on the kids wishlist, amongs prob. 50 other vfts hahaha! Grwat pictures

Back