What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another new toy. R/C helicopter - Video

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date
Zero,
It only took a 2 to 3 charges to really get the hang of it. I fly R/C planes as well and found the heli easier then the plane. If my interest holds up after a few months I will get a larger heli to fly outside.

Cars. I had a few of them over the years.
My first was a Tamiya Hornet.
Tamiya Wild One
Tamiya Clod Buster
Then a Team Losi RC10 that I raced for 3 or 4 years. I had the Stealth Drive, graphite chassis, BBings and many other upgrades. I loved racing it. I used to race at 3 different tracks over the years. Then 1 by 1 they all dissapeared. I've located 2 tracks with in an hour to hour and a half drive, but all they run is gas motors. I ended up selling the car 2 years ago after sitting for several years so I could buy my plane.
I did not want to go gas. It would be starting over and a lot more $$$$, my wife would have kill me. A plane of heli is more fun flying by yourself, but if you have a car, for some reason you fell you need to race with several other cars.
Now all I have is a Zip Zap.

I've also had a sailboat and a speedboat. Thought about getting another speedboat.

Ive allways wanted Heli's and Airplanes... every chance ive had to get them Money suddenly went to a different fund... since this one is cheep im probably gonna go for one of these cute little guys.

I LOVE rc :love: , it's my other hobby. Here's some pics of my Align T-Rex 450XL
IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

A short video http://www.jjl-remodeling.com/trex/trex.wmv

Nice helicopters.

I have always wanted to get an RC plain or heli, but was told they were hard to fly and costly to repair from a plung so I never got into it. It is very interesting though. I am kicking myself in the butt now for getting the robosapien instead of the micro mosquito!!!

you should be kicking youre self in the but JB!

Those helicopters are so cool! It seems like if they could hold enough charge and transmit far enough they could be useful for the NASC bog-hunters (with camera transmitters mounted on them). Is that practical to do on one of these? -- I don't know what your transmission distance is like with those controllers, or how much cargo load they can carry--

it isn't practical for out door use its to light weight...

I have always wanted to get an RC plain or heli, but was told they were hard to fly and costly to repair from a plung so I never got into it. It is very interesting though. I am kicking myself in the butt now for getting the robosapien instead of the micro mosquito!!!

The helicopters that Larry has would be very hard to fly and take a good amount of pratice, I do not consider his a toy. The toy like I have and some other that use the coaxial rotor design are very stable and easy for beginners fly. I may get a larger coaxial rotor design heli for outdoor flying later this year. You can get some descent RTF 4 channel helis for under $150.00.
As for planes, heres the one that I have.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=393

Those helicopters are so cool! It seems like if they could hold enough charge and transmit far enough they could be useful for the NASC bog-hunters (with camera transmitters mounted on them). Is that practical to do on one of these? -- I don't know what your transmission distance is like with those controllers, or how much cargo load they can carry--

You can do that, but it would be better with an airplane instead. There are a bunch of people that have done aerial photography/video with a camera strapped to their airplane. With helicopters, the added weight would be a huge issue.

Let's raise a dead thread.

Once in a great while I'd get my Micro Mosquito out and fly it. I tried in the spring and it would no longer take a charge and forgot about Helis for a while. Then when shopping a few weeks ago I saw a 4 channel Heli for $80.00, thought maybe I should get that. I came home and looked it up. The Heli did not get that great of reviews from people.
So I started to search micro 3 channel Helis to replace my dead MM.
It came down to the Syma S107 and the FireBird. After seeing people where starting to get bad S107's and a persons dissection of the controllers between the 2, and how the FireBirds build was much better, I purchased a FireBird.
Boy have these little Helis come a long way since my original MM. Had the FireBird for a week now and I'm very pleased it. Here's a little video.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kw3guBLpjn4?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kw3guBLpjn4?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Next Heli that I think I'll be buying before this one dies is the E-FLITE Blade mSR. Fast, fixed pitched heli.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H22CjPgStGg?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H22CjPgStGg?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice, I bought 2 like yours about a year ago on ebay. Has different canopy and the frame is metal. Does your have the built in gyro?
3755766881_4f7a14772e_o.jpg

3756566582_5898a002a5_o.jpg

I also got this blueray 450 over a year ago, I have never taken it out to fly it. It has all the metal upgrades, but is not set up correctly from the factory. I never got around to properly setting it up, guess I lost interest. A shame really, it's so beautiful.
3850053200_5484604ba9_o.jpg

Nice man, I have a few E-helis... you're a better flyer than me though :p I still very much enjoy messing with them every now and then though!
Andrew

I have a little guy. It's controlled with infrared, like the TV remote, and keeps setting off the smoke alarm!

Nice, I bought 2 like yours about a year ago on ebay. Has different canopy and the frame is metal. Does your have the built in gyro?

I also got this blueray 450 over a year ago, I have never taken it out to fly it. It has all the metal upgrades, but is not set up correctly from the factory. I never got around to properly setting it up, guess I lost interest. A shame really, it's so beautiful.
Yes the one I have has a gyro. Flys so much better then the MM I had.
It's amazing what they are doing to these tiny helis now for very reasonable prices.

The 450 looks like a great Heli. I need to learn on a small fixed blade like the mSR before going to a bigger heli like I want to then.... Heli are not as forgiving as the planes.

Nice man, I have a few E-helis... you're a better flyer than me though :p I still very much enjoy messing with them every now and then though!
Andrew
Thanks.
They are a lot of fun to fly around, especially in the house when it's cold / rainy out.

I have a little guy. It's controlled with infrared, like the TV remote, and keeps setting off the smoke alarm!
The one I have is also.
I was flying it in the living room when I turned the tower fan on. Blew it right at my wife on the sofa. I had to cut the power and crash landed right beside her. :0o:

I have had a few different kinds and they all rock....

Back