What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another first for Minnesota

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Man pleads guilty to DWI in motorized La-Z-Boy

2bbf044b-b3cf-4efb-9d5d-53b90395ec30.jpeg

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota man has pleaded guilty to driving his motorized La-Z-Boy chair while drunk. A criminal complaint says 62-year-old Dennis LeRoy Anderson told police he left a bar in the northern Minnesota town of Proctor on his chair after drinking eight or nine beers.
Prosecutors say Anderson's blood alcohol content was 0.29, more than three times the legal limit, when he crashed into a parked vehicle in August 2008. He was not seriously injured.
Police said the chair was powered by a converted lawnmower and had a stereo and cup holders.
Sixth Judicial District Judge Heather Sweetland stayed 180 days of jail time Monday and ordered two years of probation for Anderson. His attorney, David Keegan, did not immediately return a call for comment.
———
Information from: Duluth News Tribune, www.duluthsuperior.com

Oh, yeah!

Yes, yes, yes, Christmas is but a bit over a month and a half away . . .

Lovin the NHRA drag style steering wheel. Can't get over this story. Hysterical. He forgot turn signals.

A guy like that wouldn't forget cupholders. Seriously, though, I admire his ingenuity and wonder if he's getting orders to make more of those. The gift for the dad who has everything, but please drink responsibly.

A guy my mom worked with before she retired got DWIs in his car, then on his motorcycle, then on his snowmobile, then his bicycle, I figure pretty soon they'll be confiscating his shoes and socks.

LOL - I wonder what leap of logic it took to go from, "I got a DUI in my car," to, "I should go to the bar on my motorcycle."
~Joe

The ubiquitous update:

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A motorized La-Z-Boy used by a man who pleaded guilty to driving it drunk is going up for auction. But police said interested bidders need to keep it off the streets. The chair, powered by a lawnmower engine, comes equipped with a stereo, cup holders and lights.
Police in Proctor, in northern Minnesota, are putting the seized chair up for auction on eBay on Thursday. The proceeds will go to the police, state and the prosecuting attorney.
But Chief Walter Wobig cautions that the chair isn't "street legal," so any buyer should stick to the living room — or at most a parade.
The former owner, Dennis LeRoy Anderson, pleaded guilty this month to operating the chair while intoxicated. His family is also auctioning on eBay an autographed photo of him riding the La-Z-Boy to help with his fees.
———
Information from: Duluth News Tribune, www.duluthsuperior.com

I don't know why the cops should get the $ for the chair. It's the guys invention it ought to be up to him to sell it and who gets the $. I guess since they're the law they get to steal... I mean "confiscate", sounds nicer.

It's like right out of a Home Improvement episode... all the comforts of home, without having to get up.

Back