What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ampullaria

Getting an ampullaria red soon! I looked around many sources for the care sheet and they were all kinda contradicting each other. Some said to give it shade since it grows on the forest floor in the wild, some said to give it full direct sunlight.

So I decided to ask you guys for your first-hand experiences.

What are your conditions like? Is your place windy? When raining, do you move your ampullaria in or do you let the plant to do its own thing? Should I be worried when the pitchers overflow because the lid is like 180° open?

Thanks.[emoji4]

While they can grow in shade, I prefer growing mine in bright light. I grow mine indoors in a lowland/intermediate terrarium. I water it all the time. I would not be concerned about the lid, as that is how it grows in nature. I grow it in cypress bark topped off with live LFS.

All 3 that I have prefer light on the brighter end of things, though perhaps not full sun (I grow mine inside so that's not a possibility anyway), and AFTER being established they have no problem even being almost flooded....

All 3 that I have prefer light on the brighter end of things, though perhaps not full sun (I grow mine inside so that's not a possibility anyway), and AFTER being established they have no problem even being almost flooded....

While they can grow in shade, I prefer growing mine in bright light. I grow mine indoors in a lowland/intermediate terrarium. I water it all the time. I would not be concerned about the lid, as that is how it grows in nature. I grow it in cypress bark topped off with live LFS.

I think I'll keep them in bright filtered sunlight then.

Partial-sun type conditions are good for them, and they can take some direct light, just make sure you acclimate your plant to higher light if you decide to go with it because the N. ampullaria might be used to low-light conditions and you wouldn't want it to get burned.

Back