What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American contributions

Where in Europe is it readily accepted? No one in Germany accepts the dollar, except at a bank when you're trying to change money. Why would they accept a currency thats worth so much less and is declining almost daily?

Out of six countries I visited in Europe only one shop in one country (Switzerland) accepted Dollars. It is NOT readily accepted everywhere unless, as Phission stated, you are converting it at a bank. In that case every currency in the world is universally accepted. And yes, the Dollar is highly valued in Cuba, but illegal nonetheless. Therefore it is not accepted "worldwide".

There are different species of cotton and they were used in the Old World and in the New World thousands of years ago.

There are different species of cotton and they were used in the Old World and in the New World thousands of years ago.

Yes this is true, but the species most of the world uses are two that are native to the New World, Mesoamerica I believe, but I am not certain they both are from Mesoamerica. The old world species were domesticated in India I believe, but I could be wrong I am a New World archaeologist. The Old World species were replaced by New World species likely due to production, processing ease, or adaptability in the New World species. This is why I listed it as an American contribution.

One of the greatest concepts to come from the Americas, is the concept of impeachment. This originated from the Aztecs, who would choose a leader, and if that leader did not appease the people, he would be impeached. This concept was a new one to settling Europeans, who had monarchs rule until death as a rule.

One of the reasons dollars are not readily accepted in Europe, or any other country for that matter, is vendors have a hard time keeping up the the daily variations in exchange rate. For that same reason, the Euro or Canadian currency is not accepted in the U.S. Try giving Macys a handful of Euros to pay for your purchases.

One of the greatest concepts to come from the Americas, is the concept of impeachment.
That really is an important contribution. Thanks for thinking of it. The Aztecs were not a peacful people, they were very warlike, but impeachment of a ruler almost never involved violence. As opposed to the old world practice of stabbing, beheading or poisoning etc...

You're right. That's why no national currency is globally accepted. Not yet at least.

Back