What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alibino deer

An Albino Whitetail Fawn was recently found abandoned near Bolivar Peninsula, Texas.  He was nicknamed powder.

Is this guy a cutie or what??
mobmain_2.sized.jpeg

mobmain_1.sized.jpeg

Ah!

It's the heterophylla sarracenia of the animal world
smile_n_32.gif

awwww

Hate to do this but this story is sweeping all the message board fourms in the country. I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about it on the local news. I did a search to see which news stations had run the story, and this is what I found
The real story

Never the less..............AWWWWWWWWWW

Awwwwwwwwwww. Well the photos are definitely real so that cute lil' thing exists (or existed) somewhere. I hope someone kept it because it would have no chance out in the wild. And its eyes and nose would burn in the sun.

I think its gorgeous...so white!

Yummy, I wonder if it has a vanilla flavor.

What chance it had 'in the wild' is up for debate. Here in Evansville we have a 100 acre nature preserve called 'Wesselman Woods'. Deer wander in along railroad tracks that enter the reserve and end up staying. Over the years, that little 100 acres had a LOT of deer. The confined space led to inbreeding, and we at one time had 3, yes *3* adult albino white-tailed deer simultaneously.

Naturalists decided that this highly inbred population was unhealthy, and a few years ago a controlled hunt was called to cull the herd down, with the albino deer being specifically marked for slaughter. Now there may be 3-5 deer in there, all normal-colored. Hard to say, I never see any in my walks, but there are signs some are around.

Because the preserve had no predators, that 'wild' was perfectly safe for the albino ones, until human predators were brought in specifically.

Check out what we have out here in Central NY..
not Albinos, but an entire herd of white deer..
I see a few sometimes when I drive by the Army depot..

http://senecawhitedeer.org/

Scot

albino white tail deer are actually relitivly common in some areas. they are almost unheard of here in the west but in parts of the eastern US its not uncommon for a few adult albinos to be shot every year.

In Michigan it is illegal to harvest an albino white-tailed deer. All you get to do is watch.

I don't have any sources, but I know that albino white-tails can survive alright in the wild. The only real problem is that predators can see them more easily and will pick them first out of a group. Otherwise, they are just normal deer.

-D. Lybrand

Back