What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda vesiculosa

I received one today with no growing instructions (eBay). I put it in rain water... what does it really want?

place it in a container of distilled or rain water (u did that) and it would help if the water was acidic, so maybe you wanna take it out, and place some pinches of peat in the water and put it back in, or better, place a few sprigs of long fibered shagnum in the water. good luck-Zach

Thanks, I just got some New Zealand moss... I'll put some of that in with the plant.

This is the most difficlt and frustrating CP I have ever attempted to grow. I have little advice, but you might get some ideas here:

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com/aldrovanda/index.htm

I have it in an aquarium with peat and sand on the bottom. My tank was set up for a month prior to getting the Aldrovanda. The 3 forms I am growing are holding on but not thriving, I probably am lacking some trace elements needed for good growth. Sigh. Good luck with this one!

Tamlin, thanks for the link. Some good reading. I think I may have leaped before I looked but what's done is done. All I can do now is try to provide the necessary ingredients for survival. I'll keep everyone posted.

Kinda similar story here, though mine are still hanging in there.
smile.gif
Even if they all die, it will have been a pleasure to have grown them.

I have seen colonies of this plant where the pond was thick with them. I have an instinct that tells me there is something just not there in culture: dissolved O2 or CO2 perhaps? The pond I saw them in was fed with a small stream that had a tiny waterfall, although most of the habitat shots show water thar appeared very dystrophic, so I am confused. I would love to master the culture of these plants. The temperate forms seem the strongest in culture.

All advice at this point might be moot. I checked today around lunchtime and the water was extremely hot. I think I may have cooked it. We'll see how it goes from here.
sad.gif

Aldrovanda needs :

- PH between 6 and 7, not acid !!!!
- boron (correct word ? The German word for this element is Bor)
- natural "food" (to grow well)
- decomposting litter in the water

it does not like :

- temperatures > 35°C (depends on the origin)
- too much algea
- too much minerals

I grow mine in an aquarium containing a mix of peat and loam, some clay (for the boron), add some litter and some living plants of Juncus effesus (or some other reed) and some water snails (Lymnaea stagnalis) which feed on the algea...

I don't add any CO2.

Last spring I recieved 3 plants of the Japanese clone and I sold many plants througout the following months. Finally I had about 50 turions left in autumn !

You can't throw it in a glass of water and expect that it will survive...

Martin

Aldrovanda08.jpg"

(Edited by Martin at 6:44 pm on April 20, 2002)

Well, after all the abuse I've given this little specimen, I think it's starting to grow. I'm noticing some new greenery on the tip and the other end is turning a pale green. I'm not sure how it spreads from here but it's definitely not dead. I did put a little peat and long fiber sphagnum into the water. Mosquito larvae watch out.

how much light do these buggers need?

My waterwheel is making it's first split... not dead yet!! It looks like the traps are able to catch small mosquito larvae. (And there are plenty of those in the container). I wish mosquitoes were attracted to CP's. I did see one firmly attached to my D. filliformis tracyii.
biggrin.gif

Back