What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

African Violet

I have a question here that I hope somebody can answer.
I have an African Violet that has 4 growth points that connect to one stem. My question is, can I divide the growth points (like you would do a Sarracenia) or would it hurt the plant?
Thanks,
dewy

I would say that it depends how they're connected. I mean, you can pull apart the growing points without tearing up the plant, you should be fine. And if you do tear up the plant, then you can just make lots of leaf cuttings. In my experience they are pretty resiliant to getting split up, within bounds of course.

I had a question not long ago about African Violets and was told that it is a must to remove those because they will realyl sap the strength from the mother plant. Think VFT flower shoots. So yes, remove them.
smile.gif

My mother has at least a thousand or so,if you have any question just visit this forum.Just post some questions and they will be answered.

You my need to register to post.

Jerry

I love african violets, wen a young cousim i have come to mi house he sometimes help me to move my plants arround, water them or change them from pot, sometimes he kick, drop or damage my african vilets (and some other plants), i tink accydentaly (i hope), and the leaves that get cutted always (almost always) become new plants, i hear too u can use rice to make a kind of mashed rice cream and use it to pot plants so u cover the part were roots are going to be w the rice and its suposed to hel pthe plants to make roots, im not sure really i just hear it, same as ussing coffe to kill bugs in plants, cigarrets, nuts, and hair as a fertilizer and coking water of chili..? (chile), to kill aphids, kind cool right?, old ladys are so cool they can tell you a lot of plant stuff!,
smile.gif
, well i hope the african violet grow well, good luck.

African violets get "suckers"...little plantlets. Yes you can remove them and grow them. They will probably need some rooting hormone on the bottom as they will not have their own roots. And you can root leave cuttings too.

Some people remove suckers so more energy goes to the mother plant...and some let them grow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Mar. 30 2006,1:54)]African violets get "suckers"...little plantlets.  Yes you can remove them and grow them.  They will probably need some rooting hormone on the bottom as they will not have their own roots.  And you can root leave cuttings too.

Some people remove suckers so more energy goes to the mother plant...and some let them grow.
The mother plant has seemed to slow down growth alot since these plants popped up.
dewy

Back