What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aeroponic cloner for Nepenthes cuttings?

Has anyone tried using one of the commercially available cloners for Nepenthes cuttings? The ICPS website mentions aeroponic propagation, and has a couple of pictures of it, but doesn't go into any detail.

The cloners are relatively inexpensive now, so I'm thinking it'll be fun to try.

If they work as advertised, the cuttings should root a lot faster than bagged in LFSM.

This is an important question. I'm actually seriously considering buying one myself, not initially for Nepenthes, but for Passifloras. My question is whether the cheap versions work as well as the expensive versions of a few years ago. If so, which of the cheap versions are effective and worth buying? My guess is that like anything else, they vary in quality.

Here's the Passiflora story, which I find most relevant. A few years ago, someone I know used an aeroponics machine at a university to root Passiflora parritae, a notoriously difficult species (and hard to find, etc.), as well as a couple of other species, including Lapageria rosea. He had spectacular results, especially with P. parritae, even after a couple weeks. The result was never publicized (which is why I'm not mentioning names). It wasn't sufficiently followed up on either. I think I'm giving a workshop on propagation at the PSI (Passiflora Society International) meeting on propagation, so it probably makes sense that I do it myself, rather than complain that it hasn't been done...

I'll post on a plant propagation group on Facebook (Tammy Romero's "Passion for Plant Propagation" https://www.facebook.com/groups/1449885718568242/) and see if anyone has any recommendations for particularly effective cheap models. Perhaps someone has tested them rigorously, or perhaps there's word of mouth. I'm particularly interested in those that really seem to do well with the difficult projects. I think the simpler cases, such as cuttings that also root in water, are less informative.

I think it's likely that the machines that are most effective for difficult species of a variety of genera will also be most effective for rooting Nepenthes.

Has anyone tried using one of the commercially available cloners for Nepenthes cuttings?
Yes

The ICPS website mentions aeroponic propagation, and has a couple of pictures of it, but doesn't go into any detail.
That's where I got the idea.

The cloners are relatively inexpensive now, so I'm thinking it'll be fun to try.
I purchased this one - figured it was worth a shot. There seems to be other less expensive units available now.

If they work as advertised, the cuttings should root a lot faster than bagged in LFSM.
Not for me. I only used it once with 2-3 Nep cuttings. Iirc, one rooted but took very long. Another didn't root after what seemed very long (2-3 months) so I placed it in live LFS & it finally developed roots.

My sample was small so I may just have had bad luck - but other cuttings I took at the same time developed roots faster than the propagator. At some point, I'll probably try it again & use more cuttings as well as set up a control section & document both the process & the results.

Last edited:
Back