What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on moving N. ventrata

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
I want to move my N. ventrata cutting (thank you gill_za) that is making its first pitcher since I got it about 3 months ago from under the shop lights (two 40-watt cool white bulbs) to across the room, maybe 8-10 feet away, to hang in a south-facing window that gets bright light all day in order to free up space for other plants. It has been cloudy most of the time lately, but still bright light. My N. clipeata x eymae hybred is doing great in that window and forming pitchers also. In summer, they will get direct sun in the morning and indirect sunlight in the afternoon.

My question is will moving the N. ventrata across the room out from under the shop lights cause it to stop pitchering and the pitcher it is forming to stop growing? I have heard that some neps do not like to be moved at all, but don't know about the ventrata. This is my first year growing nepenthes, so any advice welcome. :-D

My guess is if the difference in humidity is great enough, the plant could potentially lose its pitcher. But, N. ventrata is a very hardy plant and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept making that pitcher and judging whether the conditions it moves to are better than what it previously had, it may either make the pitcher bigger than it would otherwise or maybe a little smaller, depending.

I wouldn't worry about! If eymae x clipeata is growing on your windowsill I'm sure the ventrata can too.

My guess is if the difference in humidity is great enough, the plant could potentially lose its pitcher. But, N. ventrata is a very hardy plant and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept making that pitcher and judging whether the conditions it moves to are better than what it previously had, it may either make the pitcher bigger than it would otherwise or maybe a little smaller, depending.

I wouldn't worry about! If eymae x clipeata is growing on your windowsill I'm sure the ventrata can too.

Thank you. I don't think the humidity will be any different as not moving far in the same room. I am thinking the light may be lower by the window right now than where it is at, but my thinking was to move it now as opposed to later in the spring in order to acclimate slowly to greater light from the sun that will come later on in the season. You know how it is with someone new to neps, the excitment of that first pitcher forming in your care, LOL, but want to do the right thing in the long run as far as acclimating to higher light intensity in its final home even if it may sacriafice the pitcher, just don't want to kill it in the process. The light from that window from late spring through summer will be about the same as it gets now under the shop light, maybe better.

I know full well the joys of when your first Nepenthes pitcher pops open. :-D

But upon re-reading your post I see that it is currently under two 40 cool light bulbs. Are they florescent?

It is highly likely that your plant will enjoy the varied spectrum and good brightness that only the sun can provide. In Oregon I imagine your photo period is well long enough for the x ventrata to pitcher well in.

Currently I have a N. ventricosa (one of the parents of your plant) on a low windowsill that faces northwest. It gets nothing but natural lighting which lately has been about 7-8 hours of very dim overcast light. The humidity is about 15% constantly in the dry house and the temperatures are currently at about 45-50 degrees on the windowsill. It currently is holding two pitchers and is continuing to grow.

So go ahead, move it and enjoy. :bigthumpup:

Thank you! Yes, they are florescent lights. I thought the same about the natural sunlight compared to the florescents. It is a large window, so lots of natural light all day with direct sun in late morning for a couple hours and possibly some direct sun in late afternoon for a short time depending on where I hang it.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. :-D

Back