What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Added new plants to my collection

I have added a number of new plants to my collection since I last posted. I started with a Venus Fly Trap, then a couple of Sundew types. I now also have a Monkey Cup (which has a baby :boogie: ) and 2 types of Pitcher Plants. They are doing really well on the windowsil, and I will be splitting them soon as they (especially the VFTs) are outgrowing their pots. But there’s no space left on the windowsil and I’m going to have to move them. I’m thinking of putting the Monkey Cup and Pitcher Plants into hanging baskets outdoors under a tree to filter the sun.

I need advice on what type of basket to use. I haven’t seen ones with a water tray but this is essential isn’t it? The plants must still stand in an inch or 2 of water right?

Welcome back, Mozie. I'm glad to hear your plants are doing well. Your Sarracenia would do better in full sunlight rather than shaded sunlight.

You can buy clear plastic basket liners which should be sized to fit within the baskets and then put your pots into those. I use these as deep individual trays for my Sarracenia. Sarracenia like having their roots soaking - just don't let the water get stagnant - let it dry out once in a while before watering.

So I could use something like this for the Nepenthes (no tray)
plastic_hanging_basket.jpg

...and this for the Sarracenia?
plastic_hanging_basket_with_tray.jpg

Yes, that should work nicely. Deeper might be better for the Sarracenia. What are the dimensions of these pots? A minumum of diameter of 15 cm x 15 cm deep is probably in order for the Sarracenia if they are of flowering size.

Many of these pots come with plugs for the drainage holes. Remove the plugs for the Nepenthes. If you wish you can make a mini-bog with a larger pot - leave the plugs in and plant several CPs (other than Nepenthese) in the pot.

Make sure there is nothing with zinc (wires etc) in it as this is poison to Nepenthes.

To clarify the previous post it should read "let the trays dry once in a great while before watering". The planting media should always remain moist.

There are also coir hanging baskets that some people use.

hooksandlattice_1977_36209280

Welcome back! And N.A.N. advice is spot on.

Oh I'd toss those other plants! They just came with the picture. Is monkey cup a general term for any Nepenthes?

Nepenthes do not need to stand in water... When done, it should only be with a few species (bical/mirabilis/etc).

All my lowlanders and intermediates are on the tray during the winter months when they live in the windows at the lab. It can be done and done safely.

Back