What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Vase of Sarracenia

While putting my plants into dormancy yesterday, I decided it would be neat to keep the best looking pitchers and put them in a vase. :p Here are some crappy pics:

6268345194_248d5db1c5_b.jpg

6267821967_9e54ab4f96_b.jpg

6267823893_e96c21db49_b.jpg

6268350026_c9919b8fa8_b.jpg

6267824743_876b992002_b.jpg

Here it is at the table:
6267826295_d12f0964dc_b.jpg

6267826903_d86baaf4ae_b.jpg

It smelled really bad at first, but then I sprayed all of the insides of the pitchers with febreez. :p Now they`re like and air freshener! I don`t think they will last long, though.

I`m sure many people out there could make a better vase; mine doesn`t even have leucophylla. If you make a vase, take pics!!!

I was planning on doing the same thing! lol.. Looks super cool!

Very cool
Has anyone used a nep as a vase

Looks as good as any vase of flowers! :D I'm confused as to what putting them in dormancy means up in your area - you typically cut the pitchers off even if they still look good? Do you bring them inside for the winter? Do the plants bounce back OK in the spring? I always thought that the pitchers needed to slowly wither away as the plants removed and stored the nutrients from them, but I guess you have no choice if it's getting quite cold out. These northerly climates are mind-boggling to me, we're still having days in the mid-80s (28-29 for Celsius folks) here. :cool:

Nice! I have often considered using Sarracenia or Nepenthes in a flower arrangement or on a corsage. Yours looks good.

My Sarracenia are entering dormancy as we speak. :-))

Looks as good as any vase of flowers! :D I'm confused as to what putting them in dormancy means up in your area - you typically cut the pitchers off even if they still look good? Do you bring them inside for the winter? Do the plants bounce back OK in the spring? I always thought that the pitchers needed to slowly wither away as the plants removed and stored the nutrients from them, but I guess you have no choice if it's getting quite cold out. These northerly climates are mind-boggling to me, we're still having days in the mid-80s (28-29 for Celsius folks) here. :cool:

Honestly, I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to wait until the pitchers wither away, but it doesn't seem to matter. Since it's too cold to leave them outside here, and too warm inside, I put mine in the fridge, unpotted, with all of the pitchers cut off. But for flytraps, I leaves all of the good traps on the plants and only cut off the dead parts. I think I'm a little early to put the plants into dormancy, but they weren't really growing anyway. Plus, they were getting eaten by the squirrels a lot. :p

Haha, my laptop is Asus too :p

I have a vase of dead pitchers I filched from my field trip. Looks pretty nifty. I can't decide if I like them better brown and dried, or if I wanna try painting them.

Why you no have a growlist? They are so gorgeous! :love:

Nice! I've never done that before... but I have done this:

1126090947.jpg

Haha, my laptop is Asus too :p

I have a vase of dead pitchers I filched from my field trip. Looks pretty nifty. I can't decide if I like them better brown and dried, or if I wanna try painting them.

Why you no have a growlist? They are so gorgeous! :love:

Haha, painting them would be neat. I have a growlist, but I'm usually too lazy to update it... :p

@Adnedarn: Awesome!!

haha.. I kind of did that same thing last year. The pitchers lasted a whole day..

Lovely colour combos Elgecko. The white flowers, with the red roses, and the red & white Sarras! Perfect!

@Mass: Yeah, they don't last all that long. :p

@Mass: Yeah, they don't last all that long. :p

They can be preserved for a long time using methods in a couple of ICPS articles. I can't remember but I think over a year. Nice looking arrangements for sure!

I let my cut pitchers sit in about an inch of distilled water while they dry, in a high humidity area. They retain most of their color and shape that way. Simple and easy. Nice vase arrangement!

Back