What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ok many questions , Hi Corky good to see you again , yer need a break from there again !!,

thanks for the great feed back people , its only a very small part of my plants , having about hhhmm not really sure but 490 mature nep plants and about 200 or more immature ones and several hundred cuttings , because i sell a lot they come and go so hard to keep track of numbers .
Lowland plants no i dont keep many ones i do have are hard to keep here because of the low temps in winter ,all though we dont get snow or frosts , the temps still get low for us warm blooded Australian people and the low landers dont like it and my green house is way to big to heat ,so the high land plant just love it so i stick with them. thats for where i live in South Australia any how up north they have no trouble keeping them as its tropical there

the lowii is about 9 year old now i recon , from ex-vitro stage any how and has been putting out uppers for the last 2 seasons . now close to the one i seen many times in the wild in Borneo . to get your lowii growing faster , you need to give it lots of natural sun light ok combined with 70% or more humidity and lost of over head misting , this combo increases its growth , mine get about 70 to 80 % full sun , but i use a very large water air con to cool the green house down too keep the temp low as you can in day , but mine get to 30c and more quite often in our 45c days , they still like it as long as the humidity is high no problems will occur , the key with all nep is lost of natural sun light , good humidity and very goos air flow ,and good over head misting
j
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInAj1FwB0Q

my misting system , on manual for got to put auto on went to long ha ha ah this was take before i put the new extension on too this is the smaller green house look !!

Thank you for sharing part of your beautiful collection!

Lovely plants and lovely mist system.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful plants and greenhouse!!

Snapperhead, I agree with your advise about growing nepenthes healthily and happily! That being said, I really wish I could get some plants from you if it weren't for CITES and certs :(

Snapperhead, I agree with your advise about growing nepenthes healthily and happily! That being said, I really wish I could get some plants from you if it weren't for CITES and certs :(

well your in Malaysia right , so really i can send a few plants over , but your best bet is to buy from exotica , he has the right permits , but $500 min buy for international . i could send a plant or 2 but at your risk , its been done before !! with no problems , depends on your customs , they been very slack over the years , so may be still the same ??
j

You'd better hope that the Malaysian Customs doesn't return the package to Australia (which has occurred before). Then you'd be the one in strife as it is illegal to export plants out of Australia without an export permit- particularly if you have been a little inventive with your Customs declaration.

Great plants. I love your youtube.com videos very much as well, by the way. Great story about the peat catching fire :) I've sterilized some soil in the microwave recently as well, but it didn't catch fire, probably because it was already wet. Did you put it in the microwave dry?

Fantastic plants! Gotta say the lowii is my favorite. I just love those uppers, so unusual. Keep those pics coming.

You'd better hope that the Malaysian Customs doesn't return the package to Australia (which has occurred before). Then you'd be the one in strife as it is illegal to export plants out of Australia without an export permit- particularly if you have been a little inventive with your Customs declaration.
yea quite so , know a few people in Au that do it regularly , they seem to have the golden touch so far !! , sounds like you have had the customs experience ??
J

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Great plants. I love your youtube.com videos very much as well, by the way. Great story about the peat catching fire :) I've sterilized some soil in the microwave recently as well, but it didn't catch fire, probably because it was already wet. Did you put it in the microwave dry?

yes i did not read the instructions , ??? i read about it but must have missed about putting it in wet , so now with a new microwave in the kitchen , i better just stick to live sphag as the seed germination medium !! ok the vid's yer there a bit out of date now may have to redo some as the whole green house has been extended and changed around
, thanks for the feed back
J

yea quite so , know a few people in Au that do it regularly , they seem to have the golden touch so far !! , sounds like you have had the customs experience ??
J

Not myself. Let's just say that I have a comprehensive understanding of the Quarantine and Customs requirements regarding the legal exportation and more relevantly, the legal importation of plant material into Australia.

Some nice plants you have BTW, seen a fair bit of your stuff on eBay recently.

Not myself. Let's just say that I have a comprehensive understanding of the Quarantine and Customs requirements regarding the legal exportation and more relevantly, the legal importation of plant material into Australia.

Some nice plants you have BTW, seen a fair bit of your stuff on eBay recently.

aahh yes i know of you , not by name ,but where you work i believe , , we been trying to info from you on other matters , can we chat on email some where please , yer ebay been very busy for me , helps pay for my habit , nep's that is !!
J

Thanks snapperhead for the kind offer, but I'm not willing to take the risk yet :lol: not when I have to rely on my savings and I'm still a student.

Post more pics when you're free!

aahh yes i know of you , not by name ,but where you work i believe , , we been trying to info from you on other matters , can we chat on email some where please , yer ebay been very busy for me , helps pay for my habit , nep's that is !!
J

Yes, anytime.

Hay Butch
here is a laugh for ya , I got some new peat today bail or TE-EM peat
, wanted to sterilise it to grow some nep seed with out that pesky green crap coming up , so i put 4 small microwave containers 1/2 filled in the microwave a power it up max, for 8 min at 7.5 min smoke was coming out the microwave , the peat caught fire and smoke every where :nono: its hard to put out too when you hands are so hot from the plate over heating and burning your fingers :blush: , darn bush fire in the kitchen mate , new microwave tomorrow this one is stuffed ha ha ah ??? :censor: the container melted on the turning galss plate too what a mess , wife seem very amused:poke: with it all
j
They still burn peat here, as a fuel source for heating. But, we have a tendency to do it in a fireplace, not microwave :-))

O yes what a mistake , thinking the micro wave was a fire place , ha ha ha the wifie don't think is a good idea to cook up any more peat ??? me no understandie ??
J

Some sweet neps ya got there.

Man, how long did it take to clear out the smell of burnt peat from the room? Once accidently started a brick of coir burning trying to dry it out at too high a temp in the oven. :rolleyes: My place smelled like smoke for a couple days. That coir smoldered "forever". Oy!

47510510.gif

ha ha ah yer , all most as good as my effort :-)) well a few days it was pretty stinky , but cleared out quite well , i put the peat in the rubbish bin , after watering it to put it out , but it keep smoldering away for hours untill i checked the funy smell again darn stuff just would not go out , 2 weeks later the bin still stinks :-(
J

sorry did not take any pic's was too embraced !! :)

Back