What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 petal D.spatulata?

My D.spatulata Fraser Island produced a 6 petal flower the other day, and I was wondering if this is a common occurence? Here is a pic of the 6 petaled flower. Any thoughts?

P1010242.sized.jpg

Here is a what most of the flowers look like.

P1010263.sized.jpg

Man, you've been coming up with some odd spatulatas this year! What's in the water?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 03 2006,3:57)]Man, you've been coming up with some odd spatulatas this year! What's in the water?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif
Well, I have been trying a "few experiments."
smile_m_32.gif

Actually, I have no idea what could be causing it. It is grown indoors under grow lights, so the conditions are very "stable." Also, if you remember, my D.spatulata have not produced a single seed still, and neither has my D.capensis, but my D.spatulata Fraser Island is producing copious amounts of seed.
dewy

Good comeback!
cool.gif

and i cant even get U. sandersonii to bloom...next for you ben? getting U. subulata no to be a weed.
Alex

It would be interesting if your plant kept producing those 6-petaled flowers, though I'm guessing it just made that flower for no reason. Pretty cool, anywho!

Alex, I haven't grown U. sandersonii yet, but I'm planning on it sometime in the future. I'm working on the more less common species right now, like U. longifolia and the U. dichotoma "complex". But I bet it would be easy to flower.

-Ben

Back