What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
Ok over the next few wks im gona be working on a 50gal bog/woodlan terrarium, i have a odd shaped TruVu acrylic fish tank that im converting to this. Now many ideas have ran thru my pea brain as to how im gona set it up and all the things im gona use.
1. Gona cut a plexigalss floor/pannel to fit the inside dimensions so that i can raise it about 3 1/2 or so inches it will have suports to hold everything im gona load on top of it, its gona have holes cut to fit and plant pots/sizes that im gona use so they sit down far enough in the precut holes but not touch the bottom under the floor pannel.
2. Under the floor pannel im gona use Perlite mixed with a small amount of charcol as most of the space under the pannel is gona be distilled water and it will help keep it sweet smelling but leave enough space so that small trays can be under the plant pots.
3. The plants will be in pots so that if i need to remove the plant for any known reason i can easily slip the whole pot out without disterbing anything else, the pots them selfs will sit alittle above the cut holes so that i can get peat, natural live moss and other decorations in to fill around them. There will be Sundews and VFTs at one end then a running waterfall in the middle and on the other side will be small low growing tropical plants, im gona have some wood and rock decorations, i will be choosing my wood carefully as i know what will mold and what wont. I am thinking of also putting some cork bark in the back and attaching some air plants to it or can do the same thing with a vine.
4. Lights consist of 4 to 6 flourescent 48 inch, 2 or 3 daylight cool white 3050 lumens each and 2 or 3 plantlight 1900 lumens each, now so far i got 4, 2 of each kind i can go to 6 not sure yet till i have it all set up.
5. im gona leave it as a open top due to all the water and humidity going on in it, plus the humidity in my house is at 75% due to all my house plants that i have. But i can easily cover the top as this tank does have a 2 1/2 inch lip top.
6. Gona foil as much as i can it does have a natural black back to it which would show the plants and everything nicely.
7. for good air exchange i could use a tiny fan or something else.
By any chance has anyone used the mini foggers that slip into a waterfall?? If so does it help or work good? As i can always get one and use it to. I will get plans drawed up tomarrow so that you can get a good idea of what im talking about and then take pics as i put it all together. Wish me luck i know its gona look awsome when done and all plants will thrive nicely in it. Just figured i would share my newest project with everyone.. I will keep posting in this thread as i go along till its completed.
smilie4.gif

That's quite an undertaking, far removed from my simplistic "ghetto look" of window sills and pipette dispenser containers and yogurt cups!

I look forward to the finished product and the pics!

Ok quick Q's, would it be ok for me to get a selection of dews for my 50gal like the one on this link thats the subtropical?? Or maybe the Cape sundew collection with a few other diffrent ones added in the order?
http://www.californiacarnivores.com/collections.shtml
Do you all think this is to expensive??

I know where you can get them for free, except maybe for $3.85 postage: Your new found forum friends! That is how I have built up my collection. I started with Home Depot, Lowes, and the like, spending $4-$10 on common plants (D. spatulata, adelae, capensis, S. leucophylla, 'Danas Delight', rubra, Cobra lily, P. primulifora, N. ventrata, sanguinea,...) and then I discovered the CP Tradng Post and went muts in accumulating seeds and plants. BigCarnivourKid was my first victim and now ongoing online friend, supplying me with D. scorpioides gemmae. Copper became a trading partner... WickedThistle, Glenn, Elgecko, JBL, and many more.

So, if you're interested, feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you a starter kit of sundews and bladderworts, etc... for just the postage.

I currently use a mini fogger for my set up, and it works wonderfully. Just make sure you have enough air circulation though, otherwise the mist will simply sit at the bottom of the set up where it's least useful.
I'll post about my fogger set up when I have more time and pics.

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 22 2005,6:21)]I know where you can get them for free, except maybe for $3.85 postage: Your new found forum friends! That is how I have built up my collection. I started with Home Depot, Lowes, and the like, spending $4-$10 on common plants (D. spatulata, adelae, capensis, S. leucophylla, 'Danas Delight', rubra, Cobra lily, P. primulifora, N. ventrata, sanguinea,...) and then I discovered the CP Tradng Post and went muts in accumulating seeds and plants. BigCarnivourKid was my first victim and now ongoing online friend, supplying me with D. scorpioides gemmae. Copper became a trading partner... WickedThistle, Glenn, Elgecko, JBL, and many more.

So, if you're interested, feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you a starter kit of sundews and bladderworts, etc... for just the postage.
OMG!! jimscott, i am so touched that you all are so kind enough to want to help me.. Thats way way to sweet of you... Thanks jimscott!! I PM'd yaz..
smile_m_32.gif

shokuchuu, thanks for the fogger input, i will try and get one to put in the waterfall and use a tiny fan of some sort to help push the air. I would love to see your setup and pics of the fogger in use.. Thanks tons!!!!
smile.gif

I wana make this terrarium perfect befour adding any delicate plants to it. I apreciate everyones info and help Thank you all!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]its gona have holes cut to fit and plant pots/sizes that im gona use so they sit down far enough in the precut holes

What will happen when the plants are repotted into larger pots?

As for the rest, it sounds great and very interesting. I also agree that it'd probably be better to keep the top off given all of the water that'll be in the tank (which should provide more than enough humidity if you're planning on growing the more common dews and nep species). A fan may not be necessary if you keep the lid open, but it wouldn't hurt to get a small fan anyway. As for the lights, I think 4 4' lights will be enough assuming the plants are placed close to them (within 12").

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck.

Thanks chloroplast, as soon as i have a few hrs to myself insted of being so darn busy with everything around here i will get the plans drawn up and post um, but as far as the plant pots go if and when they do need bigger pots i can pull and replace the botton pannel, as for the water under the pannel in the perlite charcol mix its not gona be that deep, and i can replace it with fresh distilled water when needed or tap it up from a space im gona create in the back side of the terrarium. Im gona have this all set so that not only will it be as good as i can get it as far as natural conditions go but for ease of maintance as well. Im not putting any plants in it till i know its just right and ready. Im gona be busy tomarrow but hopefully by wensday evenning i will have the plans drawn up and posted. Im hoping to get some simple sundews and also have few VFTs and then have few tiny tropical plants in this terrarium when its all finished.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im hoping to get some simple sundews and also have few VFTs and then have few tiny tropical plants in this terrarium when its all finished

Realize that the VFT will need cold dormancy so it would have to be removed from the setup for a few months per year. You should consider choosing plants with similar cultivation requirements so as to make your life easier and their lives healthier!

smile_l_32.gif
Ok well things are going rather slowly for this terrarium at this time, i have everything i need but the stinkin waterfall, which i hope to have within the next 2 weeks and the terrarium completed. But for now i have re-setup and moved around all my VFT's also the Sundews, Butterwort and Bladder worts that i have recived from Jimscott & elgecko. They are now in tanks on a rack shelf that JR threw together for me in my office window, the tanks completly foiled and the side facing the window has foil i can remove or place over on days of no sun. I have 2 compact flourescent 60 watt bulbs over each tank the tops are open and temp is 78% and humidity is 75% im gona set up another tank the same way for starting seeds. Anyways as soon as i get going on the 50gal terrarium i will get pics. I have lots plants commin in within the next week most are gona go in the terraium, im also getting some Tillandsia's for the terrarium as well. I just hate this taking so long but in the long run taking my time and getting everything right will pay off big time..
smile.gif

Seems like a really cool idea. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Ok heres a start, this is the 50gal TruVue arc. tank that we are modifying to the bog/woodland terrarium. I know i know dont look like much but wait till its done..
smile_m_32.gif
The top is being cut open more and im gona have to foil a few sides inside due to its natural black color sides in the back.
50galterrarium5.jpg

and this is just a quick drawing plans of how it will look from the top view.
50galterrarium2.jpg

and a front view plan.
50galterrarium3.jpg

There will be extra lights at the bog end for the CP's and less at the woodland side due to those tropical plants not needing such strong light. The fogger will be in a sunken dish behind a cork bark slab or piece of wood. Plant pots will have a tray under them and they will be sunk down in more natural setting once the moss is in place and everything. The waterfall will be more on the woodland side. Im gona try to make it so the bog side is higher and closer to the lights and the woodland side lower. I hope this kinda gives ya a better idea of what im gona be doing..

Can't wait to watch the creation of what looks to be a fantastic terrarium.

Zac

Dang, after seeing this thread, I've started to think about creating a huge CP terrarium of my own. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
smile_n_32.gif

I'm just so short on funds right now...but there's always Christmas right around the corner
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Nov. 14 2005,10:32)]Dang, after seeing this thread, I've started to think about creating a huge CP terrarium of my own. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
smile_n_32.gif

I'm just so short on funds right now...but there's always Christmas right around the corner
blues.gif
smile.gif
I hear ya there LLeopardGGecko funds for me to are very short and limeted thats why this is taking so long and the fact im waiting on this fountain to come in. Plus i still need to get about 3 "good size" sundews,1 butterwort thats larger than what i curently have and some sort of a small pitcher plant. I have 3 VFT's that are gona go in the bog side as well. My tropicals are already here for me to use and my airplants Tillandsia's are on there way should be here by next week. I got live spag commin in to use as well. Im so excited about this project but its killing me not being able to get it done faster. I shall post more pics as JR and I get things rolling, we will be working on the water uplift tray this week and few other things.
smilie4.gif

Sounds good Barracuda. I definitely want to try something like this in the near future. I know everything will work out great for you and your new terrarium!

Ok so far we got the uplift tray cut to size, the top of the tank trimed down so that theres a lip still on it to hold things and also got the uplift holder built, now all we gota do is figure out where i am placing the plants and cut holes for the plant pots to sit half way in them. Also i didnt get the uplift panel to be higher on one side so im just gona build one side higher with moss and orchid chips when the time comes. Now its "not sitting square" in the pic we just fliped the tank upside down and placed the uplift panel and holder on it to see how it looked and also to see how much weight it can hold i placed a heavy 8 pound plant pot on one end and another wood thingy thats 5 pounds on the other end then after this pic was taken we put a 8 pound block in the middle twards the back so roughly 20 to 22 pounds i belive it will hold and then some. Now once JR gets the plant pot holes done and we place it all in the tank i will get another pic of it. You can kinda make out on the right hand front corner where we put a small hole for a PVC pipe to go for me to pour fresh water thru, im also thinking of adding a tiny underwater filter to keep the water fresh under the plate other than having charcol and perlite in the water.
smile_l_32.gif
I will just use charcol and have the tiny filter going.
Anyways sorry for the blurry pic but as i stated it gives ya a idea as to what we are doing.
upliftshelfcomplete1.jpg

Thanks fc3srx713b
smile.gif

Woooooo Hooooo I herd today my fountain should be here no later than friday YIPPY!! Although with the holiday thursday it might not be here till saturday. But none the less i have been waiting forever for my fountain for this terrarium. Last thing on the list to get the fogger which will be after the first of Dec. I cant wait i cant wait my terrarium will finaly be done by the second wk of Dec.. YIPPY!!!!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smilie4.gif
I also orderd some cool figurine decorations to add in the terraium so those should be here next week sometime. I think you all are gona be proud of me once this is completed..
smile.gif

Back