What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young TC clones or seedlings? What do you insist on?

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
Would you insist that young plants TCed from seed not to be called as seedlings? And that they be differentiated and made known as clones?

If a person gives me a plant and said "seedling", I would expect that the fellow germinated the seed himself and that makes the plant very unique. But if the plant is a TC plant, then there are probably a hundred or more of its kind somewhere out there.

I have both seedlings and young TC Neps so I was wondering that when I start giving them away, would people mind how they came about. And if growers are particular about their new plants being fresh from TC or seed grown. :scratch:

Just personally speaking, I feel TC is a waste of time for anything except clones such as Sarraceniaobsessed's "Leah Wilkerson" moorei. That way, anyone who buys one, gets an exact duplicate of the original. Otherwise, cross-fertilizing a species plant from a particular stand of, let's say, Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora, nets incredible variations. Same with VFT's. Color variations within the species should be scattered throughout the dionaea through cross-fertilizing, spreading varying genetics. TC plants give little or no variation. Vegetative reproduction would be the best way to spread a particular TC'ed variety. All cuttings would be exactly the same. A problem I find with TC'ed babies. Lack of genetic variation gives me a pain!

Last edited:
ive never done TC.... but i would consider seedlings plants grown from seeds. not by TC. somthing i dont get though and maby someone could explain it. if you TC plants from seed....how do you get exact clones of the plant?? like Nepenthes for example. if each seed is different...how do they change?! maby im all wrong about it...i dono.
Alex

And if growers are particular about their new plants being fresh from TC or seed grown.
Currently, in my CP growing carrier, I don’t mind if my plants are tissue cultured or seed grown nor do I prefer one over the other. What I do care about is that they are properly labeled. This includes proper identification of the plant’s species, cultivar, and whether or not it was TCed. Most mass-market suppliers don’t mention this information with the plant they are selling.:-(

As joossa said, I would appreciate accuracy in labeling, much like food products. If it is TC produced, then that should be part of its labeling, or seed grown, that too should be part of its label, as well as accuracy as to its identity as a species, hybrid, or cultivar.

I think one has to understand that the term "tc" can mean culturing plant material or seed in sterile conditions. Using plant material would mean clones, and they would be genetically identical to the mother plant and are multiplied in sterile flasks/containers. TC can also mean the seed is cultured in sterile flasks.

This can be similar to how orchids are raised. Almost all seed grown orchids are grown "tc" from seed. Meaning that they are sown in sterile flasks on a growing media.
Orchids can also be cloned. Meaning the growing point is excised from the plant, than multiplied and cut up into little pieces that become plants identical to the mother plant. These are also grown in sterile flasks.

My 2 cents is that a seedling is just that. Grown from seed, regardless if it is sown on soil or by TC.

Hope that helps!
Peter.

Back