What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yah know you live to far north when.......

Probably. I lived nearby back then.

That was before my time here. Although Syracuse had a blizzard back in 1995? 1996? that shut down the city for a couple days. They actually stopped plowing nonemergency roads and diverted all plows to the main roads in and out from hospitals etc. There was a curfew on driving unless you had a civil pass for emergency work (doctors etc). My wife is in the medical field and I actually got her to the hospital after plowing through 3'+ snow drifts in an '81 buick. (don't read this part Copper) Road signs, traffic lights etc didn't matter.. once we started rolling we just kept going!

Then there was the icestorm in the north country where I am now that knocked out power to multiple 100,000's of people for a LONG time. That was er.. (I am bad with dates) around 1998. Power at my house was totally out for 2 full weeks. We loaded up the chain saw and took the Jeep to get to the hospital that time...Used that chain saw several times to clear the road along the way if we weren't able to drive around the obstruction.

Wouldn't trade it for anything.. you can only get so nekkid when its August in Florida as you run from AC to AC. At least when it's cold you can just add some more layers and your warm.

When scraping the windsheild includes in the inside of of the windows. Yer breath freezes quickly past -10.

Joe

Tony,
I remember the ice storm in 98. I was without power for 14 days. Whole city was down for 3 days. The transformers in the night are so pretty, pink, green, blue along with the BOOM!!! The subtle sound of limbs cracking.

Totally off topic, but Joe, you have 1066 posts. Also, that is the year attributed to the Battle of Hastings (not Nebraska). Wasn't that William over Harold in extra innings?

.... you hear weather reports of "mountain snow" in August.

beerfreeze.jpg

there's an email that was circulating around - you know you're from Wisconsin when.... i think many of them apply to other northern states as well:

You've never met any celebrities.

Your idea of a traffic jam is 10 cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.

"Vacation" means playing miniature golf at the Dells.

You've seen all the biggest bands 10 years after they were popular.

You know what's knee-high by the Fourth of July.

You ask for a "bubbler" when you're thirsty.

A clean bowling shirt is appropriate attire for a wedding.

You see a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it, no matter what time of the year.

You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example: Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to town, I wanna go with."

All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain or animal.

You install security lights on your house and garage and then leave both unlocked.

You think of the major four food groups as cheese, beer, brats and Jell-O salad with marshmallows.

You carry jumper cables in your car.

You own just three spices: salt, pepper and ketchup.

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow

You know which leaves make good toilet paper.

You know all four seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter and Construction.

You've ever used the heater and the air conditioner in your car on the same day.

Your whole family wears green and gold to church on Sunday.

You define summer as three months of bad sledding.

Snow tires come standard on all your cars.

You refer to the Packers as "we."

You have gotten frostbitten and sunburned in the same week.

You can identify an Illinois accent..

You know what cow-tipping is.

You learned to drive a tractor before the training wheels were off your bike.

Down South to you means Chicago.

Traveling coast to coast means going from La Crosse to Milwaukee.

A brat is something you eat.

You know that Eau Claire is not something you eat.

You have no problem spelling Milwaukee.

You consider Madison exotic.

You got a passport to go to Minnesota.

You don't have a coughing fit from one sip of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

You can actually pronounce Oconomowoc, Menomonie and Ashwaubenon; and actually know where they are.

You know what a bubbler is.

Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a cow next to your blue spruce.

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new machine shed.

You go out for fish fry every Friday.

You can recognize someone from Illinois from their driving.

You know how to polka.

You drink pop

Formal wear is blue jeans & a baseball cap.

You were unaware there is a legal drinking age.

Your 4th of July Family Picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You know where Waukesha is AND can pronounce it.

You can visit Luxemburg, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Berlin, New London & Poland all in one afternoon.

You've seen mosquitoes with landing lights.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

Your sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightie.

You owe more money on your snowmobile than on your car.

The local paper covers major headlines on 1 page, but requires 4 pages for sports.

At least twice a year, your kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.

Your snow blower gets stuck on the roof.

You think the start of deer season is a national holiday.

You find 0 degrees a little chilly.

You know what to do with a Blatz.

Bucky Badger hangs on your Christmas tree even if you didn't go to University of Wisconsin Madison.

If you go to school even if there was a blizzard that morning because the buses can still go on the roads.

If you are a member of the Polar Bear Club and proud of it.

if you’ve considered voting Brett Favre for president

if you can use the word “ya der hey” easily in a sentence

If your computer is worth more than all your cars combined.

If you've ever used a CD-ROM as a coaster to set your beer on.

You measure distance in minutes.

You know several people who have hit a deer.

Your school classes were canceled because of cold.

Your school classes were canceled because of heat.
You've ridden the school bus for an hour each way.

You hear someone use the word "oof-dah" and you don't immediately break into uncontrollable laughter.

You know what "cow tipping" and "snipe hunting" are.

yah know whats really bad sarracenia?? over half those apply to Montana too
smile_n_32.gif
oh and i have to admit, my beer sat in a snow bank instead of the fridge New Years eve

Back