What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yaaaay it happened

my vft just had a baby lol un fortunatly its traps are only like a milemeter big is this normal

its just a plant that has just started I have done nothing to my vft in otherwords its a branch off from the main plant

sincerely
Kyle.W

That's great that you have a new plantlet! </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">un fortunatly its traps are only like a milemeter big is this normal

its just a plant that has just started I have done nothing to my vft in otherwords its a branch off from the main plant [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> Yes it is normal for a young plantlet to have tiny traps. Sometimes you flytrap will shoot of plantlets, but I do not know why. Someone else can tell you that one.
smile.gif
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes it is normal for a young plantlet to have tiny traps. Sometimes you flytrap will shoot of plantlets, but I do not know why.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> I think that's right. If not please correct me.

That's great that it "had a baby" lol and i'm pretty sure that it's normal for them to be so small.
My name's Kyle too!

My VFT is doing this at the moment, it is sprouting regular size new traps and also smaller ones not from the centre which are really small and thin...any idea?

lol why worry? is it not a good thing that your plants are reproducing by the natural method of vegetative reproduction?lol...

Wow, I didn't know they did that TOO. I know about deviding themselves so you have two large plants but bitty babies on runners... thats cool. Mabey I should look under the moss in mine to see if I have any. It never flowers but is really healthy and big (usually has 15-22 adult traps at a time). Oh yah, the other day I was plucking moss to put in some new pots when I found a thingy.

Yes a thingy. It's hard and green and lumpy and is just sticking out of the peat. It's oh I'd say about .5cm diamiter. Anyone know what this thing is? Is it a peace of my flytrap or the moss or what?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kyle6002 @ Sep. 22 2002,7:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">my vft just had a baby lol un fortunatly its traps are only like a milemeter big is this normal

its just a plant that has just started I have done nothing to my vft in otherwords its a branch off from the main plant

sincerely
Kyle.W[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh and I forgot. Yes the itsy bitsy size is normal, at least from seeds anyways. I think it is 7 years to maturity if I remember correctly.

well thats good to know that thats normal i was just making sur I thought it was but you know

as for that thingy were was it located

my new plant is like right beside my other one

I had noticed that it haddent been making any new traps on that spot for a wile well now I know why lol

by the way just to let the rest of you know that arent involved in this discusion I am and do belive that it would be best in every ones intrest to leave the plantlet atached untill spring
ie when it cones out of dormency and if it still doesn't look right then let it get healthy and larger so that it can properly support it's self.

any way have a great day every one

Kyle.W

p.s. there are a lot of kyles that I know

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Sep. 23 2002,8:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yah, the other day I was plucking moss to put in some new pots when I found a thingy.

Yes a thingy.  It's hard and green and lumpy and is just sticking out of the peat.  It's oh I'd say about .5cm diamiter.  Anyone know what this thing is?  Is it a peace of my flytrap or the moss or what?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Are you using perlite? I'm finding some of mine are turning green (individual pieces of perlite that is). If I'm not mistaken, it's just algae. Just remove it if that's the case...shouldn't be a problem!
smile.gif

The plantlets ( babies ) appear by the side of the mother plant ( the larger one ).

They are not on runners, and you can separate them from the larger plant later down the road.

They don't have to flower to make these, it is just a natural process.
smile.gif

( and it means you are treating your plants right!!!
wink.gif
)

I have this spot on one side with an extra bit of traps that are about .5 the size of my normal traps... I've been calling my plant a 1.5 crowner but... is this a plantlet thats getting a bit oversized? My plant seems healthy it grows traps at insain rates when it's happy (it wasn't happy this year untill I fed it though). I figure in another week we'll be up to 25 adult traps
smile.gif
asumeing it doesn't suiside any more of them. Which brings me to my next question. It's makeing it's leaves longer, not shorter... and... The traps are very active for this late in the year.... Is my plant uh just NOW leaving dormancey?! I only have the one so I always struggle with nothing to compare it againced.

Back