What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would these LED bulbs be sufficient to supplement my windowsill garden?

• Thread starter Sashoke
  • Start date
Hello! Since moving to a new house my large collection of nepenthes and a few drosera havent been getting as much sunlight as they used to, my new south and west facing window setup has a tree nearby that gives off shade during certain times of day. My plants have definitely noticed and a have began growing smaller pitchers.

Id like to supplement their light with a few LED bulbs that I'd hang nearby. I dont have any experience with grow lights and would like to know if these would be sufficient, and Id also like to know how close I could leave them to the plants if I was to turn them on for 8 hours a day.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart...ED-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-A6A19A100WUL03/300377380

These bulbs are 100 wats have 1575 lumens, and their light appearance is 5000K. They seem comparable to T5 bulbs from what Ive read but Im not an expert here so I want to make sure.
If there is a better low cost option I am all ears, I just want to get something cheap down to supplement my plants light, they dont need to solely survive off these. Thank you for any responses!

I use a fluid light version of those. Ive been using them for about six months now and have had no adverse effects. I have them over my bladderworts. Ther grow and flower.

I use a fluid light version of those. Ive been using them for about six months now and have had no adverse effects. I have them over my bladderworts. Ther grow and flower.

Thanks for the response! Im glad to hear theyve worked well for you. How far away from nepenthes would you suggest I hang them?

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I only have two Neps. Mine are Highland . One is under T5ho and the other is quite large and hangs in a window. I suppose on what Nep it is and how much light it licks. Im guessing about six to eight inches. However there others here that could probably answer that better.

I used two similar LED bulbs for a small setup on my desk. The room was otherwise pretty dark and it worked pretty well for the few months that I had it.

tetDcA1.jpg

I use standard 60 watt replacement LED bulbs to supplement my window lighting and they work very well. They are much cheaper in that wattage, a true 9.5 watts, though your 100 watt equivalent bulbs are going to be brighter. The lamps I use are clamp-type goose neck reading lamps which are available many places. I like them because they can easily be moved closer or further away or aimed in any direction needed.

Thank you for all the great replies! It seems like ill definitely be picking these up :)

Back