What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would parson spiders be caught by venus fly traps?

Hello everyone,

New to your group and carnivorous plants. I have one Ping and one Sundew. Very new to all of this, but they've given me the bug for more. (Pun? Sorry!)

Is it true that venus fly traps might be the right choice if I hope to catch / eradicate 1 or more parson spiders loose in the house? Please forgive the fact I want to kill a spider - I have learned tolerance for cellar spiders (who ignore me completely) and jumping spiders (who do not come in the house) - but the parson spiders are really too much for me. Maybe 3x a year one will freak me out by getting on my sheets. If I don't kill the thing, it just keeps reappearing in the same place. Sorry to all spider lovers.

Would venus fly trap be the right choice? Multiple plants would be fine if need be. Tiny bedroom is the only place I really need "protection" - south and west windows in northern latitude. Parson spiders are not web builders, they hunt all night and jump their prey. Super fast. By day they hide out in cracks etc. The last one I tried putting outside found his way back in. (Yes, I'm pretty sure it was the same one. Same M.O. Same size (between nickel and quarter size). Same hangout. Same everything.)

Thanks for any help. :)

Dionaea tend to catch crawling prey by chance, save for ants etc. Unless you put the spider into the trap, it's not going to get caught.

Thank you for replying. Disappointing but good to know. Would any carnivorous plant have better odds of catching a ground hunting spider?

I had not heard of parson spiders before, cool spider though I probably wouldn’t be much interested in sharing my bed with one...

I agree that a flytrap wouldn’t be much use in eradicating spiders...or anything really. There are always more bugs.

That said, my flytraps outside used to catch way too many running spiders for it to be a coincidence. I think it’s similar to the way some spiders know to go make a web in a Sarracenia pitcher, or crab spiders know to go to flowers and other places where nectar-feeding insects are likely to come. Probably the presence of the chemical taste of nectar or a scent tells them to set up their ambush there. It works great in the case of flowers and pitcher plants; with flytraps, not so much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would any carnivorous plant have better odds of catching a ground hunting spider?
Carnivorous plants aren't really good at eradicating any type of "pest". They may catch some, but not all. And if you only have a Parson Spider come by 3 times a year, the odds of them falling into any carnivorous plant is rather slim. As with stopping any pest, (and this is something the pest control companies won't tell you) the best way to do so, is by sealing the house. If they can't get in, they can't become a problem. Another idea . . . Parson Spiders make great pets! If you don't want to keep them yourself, try selling them. I can give you a few good forums to try if you want to go that route.

Either way . . . Good Luck!

Thank you

Thank you both, Bob and Acro. I've learned something from you both. You are right: sealing off points of access in any house is ideal; but not practical in this old house. I've found cleaning, removing clutter/going minimalist, and vacuuming do help to reduce hiding spots and making it an inhospitable location to stay in too long. (Who wants to hang around where a vacuum frequently sucks everything up?) Staying on task with that helps.

I noticed comments online about these spiders from men mentioning their wives being unnerved by one of these spiders running toward them. Since I too am female - and I too seem to get them running toward me - I can't help but (mostly jokingly) wonder if parson spiders only stalk women??

Speaking of pets: Youtube showed someone capturing one to keep as a pet. It cemented that there's no future FOR ME in spider trade. But, thank you. ;-)

Speaking of pets: Youtube showed someone capturing one to keep as a pet. It cemented that there's no future FOR ME in spider trade. But, thank you. ;-)

Your welcome. :)
And if you ever change your mind and decide to try keeping spiders as pets, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. ;)

Back