What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wondering if this light will be sufficient for N. sanguinea or too much

I grow all of my plants (VFTs, Sarracenia, Drosera, Pingicula) indoors. They're all in trays, in the south-facing window of a solarium that is glass on 3 sides. I supplement light with 2 40-watt compact fluorescents, 2 10,000K and 2 6500K daylight T-8 bulbs (meant for reef aquaria) and 2 full-spectrum 15 watt LED lights. They all do very well and have for a couple of years.

However, I just this past weekend got my first Nepenthes, ever. N. sanguinea , very young, in a 3-inch pot. From my reading I know that the lighting is too much for the Nepenthes. There's also no room in the trays, nor should it sit in water as the others do. It's on a shelf which gets some reflected light from the tray setup, and some dappled sun in late afternoon. The room has great humidity.

The two 15-watt LEDs are from Sansi and I like them a lot. I got one and, after seeing how much the plants seemed to enjoy it, got another for more coverage. I've just purchased another, which I plan to suspend over the sanguinea (12 inches or so) as supplemental lighting. Do you think this will be too much light for it?I usually run a 16-hour photoperiod in Summer. Would the Nepenthes need less direct, bright light? For what it's worth, heat is not a factor. These bulbs run very "cool" and I also use a fan when temps outside hit the 90s.

Thanks! And sorry for the length. I wanted to be as thorough as possible in explaining my setup and reasoning.

https://imgur.com/bU5AQ6Q

I'd say that you nep will do fine as long as you acclimate slowly. I keep some of my neps outdoors and they handle the sun without too many problems. I'd even say you might not need supplemental light for the nep, not in the summer at least.

I'm pretty sure N. sanguinea can handle full sun so I wouldn't worry about it being too much light. I'd actually give it more direct light if you can - you'll get larger and more colorful pitchers.

I doubt you will hurt the plant... I grow most of my N. sanguinea in the sun under a shade cloth (which covers the whole greenhouse to keep temperatures down). For fun, I picked up a LED panel quite a while ago and threw a bunch of random plants under it to see what happened. It turned out that the panel is too close to the plants, but because that's how high the shelf is I have not moved it. Other than the dark red leaves, I wouldn't say the N. sanguinea cares too much at all. Here is the LED grown one VS my other stock.
Andrew

20180403_181345.jpg

Never seen a Sanguinea go all red like that. Must be some serious LED panel.

Thanks, folks, for the information!You've been more than helpful and I appreciate it. Under the LED it goes!

Those red/blue lights are known to cause unnaturally dark coloration in plants, even more than full sun. It may not be possible to turn a sanguinea that red with any other light source.

Gotcha, like I said my aim was for the cool colors pinguicula get under florescent lights but didn't affect them.

Back