What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wireless network question

Im installing a wireless network at home, ive got the gateway set up for WPA-2, my new laptop with vista connects just fine. Now im trying to configure an older laptop that has XP.

The closest option I find listed on the older laptop is WPA with AES, I enable this and include the key but it doesnt connect. I tried to install a patch that I found, but xp said it was an older version then what was installed... so i declined.

I didnt know if WPA2 would be backwards compatable with WPA

The gateway originally came set up for WEP and both laptops connected fine, but I was afraid of WEP.

errr where do I go from here LOL, Im pretty sure I need some kind of WPA2 patch, but im not sure... and if so can ya gimme a link
(first time setting one up)

hmmm can it be a driver issue on the older laptop?...

Thanks in advance,
Av

have you checked out firmware upgrades for the xp comp?

As NAN said, SP2 is required. I just set my XP computer up on my WPA2 network. It does work, it's just a pain to get it to work. I normally use the IntelPro software that came with my wireless NIC. I'm assuming you're trying to use the XP wireless client.

I'm going to attempt a walkthrough:

Go to your Network Connections (My Computer/Control Panel/Network Connections). Please use shortcuts if you have them.

Once you are in the Network Connections screen, right click on Wireless Network Connection and select properties. The Wireless Network Connections Properties box should come up. There you should see three tabs across the top (General, Wireless Networks, Advanced), click on Wireless Networks. Make sure the box is checked next to "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings". Toward the center of the screen you should see a big white area labeled as Preferred Networks. If you have anything listed there, removed them all. When done, click okay, we will be going back here later.

You should be back at the Network Connections screen. Now we want to go back to the Control Panel. There you will find Wireless Network Setup Wizard. Double click it. Click Next. For Select a Task click Setup a wireless network. Click next. For Network Name (SSID) put in whatever you set up in your router. Click Manually Assign. Click the box at the bottom to use WPA. Click next. Type in the Network key. This will be what you set up in your router. Click next. If you don't have anything else to set up, click Set up a network manually. Click next then click finish.

Halfway done.

Now we go back to Control Panel/Network Connections. Right click wireless network connection. Select properties. Click Wireless Network tab. You should see the network you just created. Double click the first one (mine makes two for some reason). That will bring up the properties screen. For Network Authentication select WPA2. Data encryption will be whatever you chose in your router. Mine happens to be AES. Click OK. Click Ok again on the next screen.

You should now be back on the Network Connections screen. Right click Wireless Network Connection again and click View available wireless networks. This brings up the Wireless Network Connection page. You should see the name of your network. Click connect at the bottom. Then click connect again on the little screen that comes up. Leave the Network key alone.

You should now be able to connect to your router on your XP computer using WPA2.

Crystal

I always just use WEP. It's not as secure, but it works just fine, and is a lot simpler to set up!

SP3 was already installed,

Crissy, Im not sure but I think that is what ive been trying... only I find WEP and WPA, but no WPA-2

I went to look for a firmware update but found none, however I do have a USB network adapter that I use while on the road for an even older laptop

(i gotta lotta junk LOL)

anyhow, with it all is well... if it is a firmware issue would I see WPA-2 listed as an option? or from the other side of the coin if i am doing it wrong would i still be seeing WEP and WPA as options?

and on the subject of SSID, Im under the impression I dont want to use that so other puters cant see my network without higher level hacker software... err am I correct in that assumption?

my lil brain hurts now really really bad

pouts, come here and fix it the way i want it crissy

i'll give ya a dollar hon ;)
Av

No don't tell me that Av!

So you don't have a list that looks like this?

network2.jpg

If not, it's possible that your wireless card in your XP computer is old enough to not support it.

Do you happen to know what kind of wireless NIC you have?

To find out you can right click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware tab/Device Manager

Look for Network Adapters and click the little + sign to expand it. You should have two devices listed there. One will be the wired NIC, the other should be wireless.

I can try to look it up for you to see if it can support WPA2. It's possible it's been updated since (firmware) to be compatible with it. If not, you may need to upgrade your wireless NIC (you should have a slot for a new one to stick in the side) or just revert back to WPA or WEP.

SSID allows anyone with in range to see your network. If the SSID is disabled, it becomes more difficult to hack. I did a nice 10 page paper on Wardriving in college. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to hop in your car and cruise around neighborhoods with your laptop searching for unsecured wireless internet.

It might also be helpful to know what type of laptop you have (I believe you mentioned it is a Gateway. What's the model?). I can tell ya if you can upgrade to a new wireless card.

You're just testing me aren't you? :poke: To see how much I remember from the job that I oh so loved lol. :-O

Crystal

Last edited:
I don't think that firmware would be the issue - encryption operates above that level on most wireless devices if I'm not mistaken. You may want to try installing that patch anyways; it may not have been included in SP3, although that's doubtful. If all else fails, try to connect as WPA. I seem to remember hearing that WPA2 is backwards-compatible. Barring that, you could always switch your router and Vista machine over to WPA.
~Joe

Crissy,

I dont see the wireless adpater listed in device manager, but I know it has one and I know it works... ive used it to ahhhh connect to someone elses network on a good clear night LOLOLOL

however, the laptop in question is a bone stock toshiba satellite A55-106

The router (its paperwork calls it a gateway... ) is a combination dsl modem and wireless router.. it is a 2wire (brand) model 2701HG

When it arrived it had been setup by the DSL provider and they had password protected the settings with everything on ahhh low level so they wouldnt get any service calls about compatability (my assumption) well it took me about 15 mins to hack it and I sure dont know what Im doing

soooooooo Im trying to bring it up to speed security wise as best i can, I know... its hard to turn doo doo into ice cream,

err so i dont have to use SSID?

Prof says if you fail this test you gotta stay after class

(and thank you all for the help, my goodness is it appreciated... )

Av

Hmm. I did a search on the Toshiba website. It looks like your laptop has a Atheros Wireless NIC. There's a link to the client software. That may allow you to choose the WPA2. The difference would be instead of using Window XP's wireless software to manage your connection, you'd be using Atheros.

Here's a link:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...lgmjdicgfkceghdgngdgnn.0&ct=DL&all_docs=false

Without a model number for the wireless network card, it's a bit difficult to determine if it's too old of WPA2. I'm assuming it's a bit dated. Doing a quick search on Wikipedia, I found this: From March 13, 2006, WPA2 certification is mandatory for all new devices wishing to be certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance as "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED."

I believe it's safe to assume anything before 2006 may not have WPA2 capabilities. If this is true, even downloading the Atheros software client wouldn't be much help. How old is your laptop?

Crystal

the Toshiba was early 2005 IIRC and the Gateway that is older then that... well err we wont even worry about it.

The Toshiba is doing fine with the USB network adapter w/ WPA-2 so guess that is what Ill use unless you come up with another idea

Besides, it wont get used much anymore... I just have a few older/obsolete apps that seem to be incompatable with the new laptop's 64 bit Vista operating system.

Av

I just looked through the manual. It looks like there have been some revisions made. It states that it is "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED, but that could have been after a revision. Since you're not seeing it as an option when setting up the wireless network, it looks like you don't have WPA2 capabilities :(. WPA might not be as secure as WPA2, but with making sure your SSID isn't broadcast will help up the security. You can always leave the gateway set to WPA2 so your new laptop will have the benefits of it at least (your older computer should still work fine, WPA2 is supposed to be backwards compatible). I was looking to see if maybe you could replace your wireless card for a reasonable price. My laptop has a slot on the side for when mine goes out. I didn't see anything similar to that regarding yours. You'd probably have to open the laptop up to replace it and I don't recommend that.

If you look along the left and right sides of the case, do you see anything that looks like a slot? I'll see about getting a picture of mine later so you'll know what I'm talking about.

Sorry I couldn't help you more,
Crystal

Looks like Atheros has little support for WPA. I can find it only in the AR5006 and AR5007 chipsets.

http://www.atheros.com/pt/wlan_core.htm

What chipset is in the Toshiba?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

To upgrade your wireless network adapters to support WPA, obtain a WPA update from your wireless network adapter vendor and update the wireless network adapter driver.

For Windows wireless clients, you must obtain an updated network adapter driver that supports WPA. For wireless network adapter drivers that are compatible with Windows XP (Service Pack 1), the updated network adapter driver must be able to pass the adapter's WPA capabilities and security configuration to the Wireless Zero Configuration service.

Microsoft has worked with many wireless vendors to embed the WPA firmware update in the wireless adapter driver. Therefore, to update your Windows wireless client, you just obtain the new WPA-compatible driver, and then install the driver. The firmware is automatically updated when the wireless network adapter driver is loaded in Windows.

Changes to wireless client programs
Wireless client programs must be updated to permit the configuration of WPA authentication (and preshared key) and the new WPA encryption algorithms (TKIP and the optional AES component).

For wireless clients that are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless Zero Configuration service, you must obtain and install the Windows WPA Client. For wireless clients that are running Windows XP service pack 2 (SP2) and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless Zero Configuration service, the Windows WPA Client is included in Windows XP SP2. Therefore, additional downloads are not needed. The Windows WPA Client updates the wireless network configuration dialog boxes to support new WPA options.

For more information and to obtain the WPA client program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
826942 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826942/) Wireless update rollup package for Windows XP is available
For wireless clients running Windows 2000 (or clients running Windows XP SP1 and using a wireless network adapter that does not support the Wireless Zero Configuration service), you must obtain and install a new WPA-compliant configuration tool from your wireless network adapter vendor.

Warren, ive searched in device manager, Ive checked sys information and I don't see the original wireless adapter llisted, yet Ive used it and know its gotta be there

It worked fine using WEP, so it has to be there... don't understand why I cant find it listed though... but I got it to the point of WPA compliant, even though the WPA-2 router doesn't seem backward compatible with it... which most of what I read seems to indicate should be the case.... I must have an odd duck of some kind. The bulit in modem failed a couple years ago and I had to disable it and run an external modem... so maybe some of these previous hardware/software problems are now contributing to the current issue

I have installed the software package that came with my USB wireless adapter and it is now working under WPA-2 with no SSID and a 64 character keycode. I guess this is as good as I can ask for at this point.

I feel so abused LOLOLOLOLOL
Av

ok, i must love the abuse... now that Ive gotten this far how about an idiots guide to restricting access using MAC addresses?

:)

Back