What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter growing dews waking up?

Hey, all. Early this spring I got some D. aberrans tubers in a trade. When I moved a couple months ago, I put the pot in my regular dew tray and forgot to take it out. As a result, they've been getting water, and are now waking up about 3 months early. Anyone have experience with this? Will breaking dormancy early affect their health?

I don't think it's possible to wake up tubers early by watering them - they'd just rot. It isn't abnormal for tubers to be sprouting this early (my zigzagia have,) though I'd be surprised to see them breaking the surface already.

It may be important to note that D. aberrans comes more from south to southeast Australia where conditions are overall wetter year-round and more conducive to longer growing seasons than western Australia.

Ah, okay, this is all good to know. They have been dormant for quite a few months, so it may just be their time.
(Here is a picture for those interested).Daberrans by squidfengshui, on Flickr

Back