What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter color

As I mentioned in the topic up above in the 'sticky', the VFTs that tend to get red during the season, get even redder during the fall/winter. Mine spend their winters under lights in a back basement 'cold' room where the temps range from low 40's to low 50's (*F). When spring comes, they head back outside.

Since there are so few bold colors to be found around here in the winter, glancing at these guys brightens things up & reminds me that spring isn't far off....
VFT-Dingleyred-purpleRS.jpg

Dingley's 'Red/purple' - above & below
VFT-Dingleyred-purple1RS.jpg

VFT-finetoothxredRS.jpg

VFT - finetooth x red

This clone (below) was interesting just because it mostly colored it's 'fingers' (hence the name 'Long Red Fingers'):
VFT-longredfingersRS.jpg

Apologies for the conditions - I didn't bother snipping any black leaves or cleaning up random pot debris. That doesn't happen until they go back outside...

Ron, I just couldn't stand it. I had to stick it!

Sweet nelly I don't think I've seen anything like that last one. Wow oh my god it's amazing.

Very impressive plants! Your “Long Red Fingers” is beautiful!! :love:

How long do you set their photoperiod during dormancy?

Here's a VFT 'Big Mouth' with some color...
VFT-BigMouthRS.jpg

...and a different VFT 'Long Red Fingers' showing a trap similar to a VFT 'Fused Tooth':
VFTLRFRS.jpg

Joosa - the lights are on 10 - 12 hrs per day. The bulbs are old & weak.

I like your "Long red fingers". I'm new to CPs. Would doing a tissue cloning reproduce VFTs with the same features? If so, have you ever thought of doing so? I'd be interested.

I like your "Long red fingers". I'm new to CPs. Would doing a tissue cloning reproduce VFTs with the same features? If so, have you ever thought of doing so? I'd be interested.
As I understand it, this plant is a t/c mutation and is available from a number of retailers...

Very neat plants with good color, but I don't understand the reason for sticky. So I unstuck it. I'll be going through all stickied threads in the near future. Seems to be a lot accumulating up there.
Andrew

Beautiful plants Ron. Love that color! :)

Nice, variagated color! Lemme know when someone comes up with turquoise & maroon.

Like RL7836, I enjoy looking at my seedling typical x red dragon vft during the gloomy winter months. The vibrant red color of the traps make the interesting a little more interesting.
P1050890.sized.jpg

How many watts do you use? I'm trying this next year in my attic where it's cold but has not a lot a lot of light.

How many watts do you use? I'm trying this next year in my attic where it's cold but has not a lot a lot of light.

I use 96 watts, and the plant is about 8 inches from the light source.

Back