What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Blooms

I went for a holiday trip to visit my inlaws, and what do I find when I get home? My S. purpurea has decided to bloom. Now. In December. Argh. I had been reducing the light levels, and was about to move it to winter digs that it seemed to do fine in last year (cool north window).

Do you think I should continue to try and ease it into dormancy after the bloom is done? Or wait a while? I don't want to kill the poor confused thing! :-(

But at least I can appreciate the first ever purpurea bloom I've had...
purpurea_flower.jpg

Skip dormacy this year? I dunno.

Do you think I should continue to try and ease it into dormancy after the bloom is done? Or wait a while? I don't want to kill the poor confused thing!

Let nature do its thing. I get late blooms on occasion (like, just before dormancy) but dormancy conditions persist onwards, the plant goes in to dormancy and life goes on.

Don't try to skip dormancy. If it makes you feel better, you could cut off the flower.

Back