What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Some pics of the Nepenthes that I grow as windowsill plants in a south facing sliding glass door.

Enjoy

NMarbled-Dragon.jpg

Nepenthes Marbled Dragon (N. maxima - dark x N. truncata) (Exotica hybrid)

Nbical-1.jpg

Nepenthes bicalcarata - This plant has stalled growing a few times because of it getting root bound in a small pot.

NrokXhamata.jpg

Nepenthes x Rokko clone A x Nepenthes hamata

Nrajah.jpg

Nepenthes rajah - This plant has stalled growing a few times because of it getting root bound in a small pot.

Nrajahpitcher.jpg

Nepenthes rajah - pitcher forming

Naristolochioides-1.jpg

Nepenthes aristolochioides

Nraf.jpg

Nepenthes rafflesiana

Nhamata.jpg

Nepenthes hamata

WOW, very nice! I really like the aristolochioides and of course the hamata!

Your N. aristolochioides looks great. I have been considering getting one of those. Your success by the window encourages me even more!

Is your raff variation elongata? I can't tell from the distance how tall the the lid is from the pitcher.

xvart.

Wow...they look great. You are able to grow a bical and hamata on your windowsill?! If you don't mind, what are your temps like? Do you do anything for humidity? Do you have any supplimental cooling or heating?

I grow all my neps in windows, and this is very encouraging. I'm really excited to see your aristolochioides, I've wanted one for so long, but I haven't gotten one because I was worried I couldn't grow it.

You all must understand that this is elgecko's magic windowsill. It has properties that no other spot on earth does. That's one of the nicest hamatas I've ever seen. And it's growing with bical. In a window in his house. It's a bit creepy if you ask me.

Max :)

Max, it does seem like some sort of strange voodoo.

this is how he does it.. he has a greenhouse and everytime he takes a picture of his plants he just takes them inside on his windowsill :-))
just kidding! your plants never cease to amaze me elgecko. when your hamata vines (again?) look me up!
Alex

Wow, that hamata looks absolutely EVIL!

.......but beautiful. Very nice.

You all must understand that this is elgecko's magic windowsill. It has properties that no other spot on earth does. That's one of the nicest hamatas I've ever seen. And it's growing with bical. In a window in his house. It's a bit creepy if you ask me.

Max :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's like he's made a pact with some evil plant deity.

Regardless, lovely plants as always Elgecko. I can only hope to grow a N. hamata half as nice as yours someday.

omg! Its absolutely marvellous. Its amazing how well plants can survive. Especially induvidual variations. Its sooo great to see some plants that can withstand a lot harsher conditions than probably other induviduals in the same species. Wonderful! that hamata is priceless. :)

Yes. I think somebody sold his soul to the devil... I am always super jealous when I see elgecko's pictures. Couldn't grow better in the wild!

xvart.

I'll just repeat what everyone else is saying. WHAT A NICE HAMATA!! That is the plant that I want. You hear the saying 40 is the new 30? Hamata is the new Rajah...... at least for me.... LOL

I've been in that kitchen and those Neps are amazing! And the humidity was at 35%. What was fun was watching him water the hanging baskets and trying to catch the excess that drained through!

Thanks for the comments.

xvart,
The Nepenthes rafflesiana is a typical.

MissMorbus,
The only special thing I did was place a humidifier on my furnace so the air was not so dry in the winter.

I find that Neps are a lot tougher then they are given credit for.
When I was first reading about them and the high humidity requirements they need, I thought I would never be able to keep one outside a terrarium.
Since neps can get large I did not want to confine the plant into a terrarium. So I started to experiment with growing them as windowsill plants and have had great success with several neps this way.
It seems that they take around 3 months to really settle and then start pitchering.

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (I have the humidifier on my furnace set to around 45%. Lower humidity in the day because the furnace does not run much. The sun shines in the room where I grow the plants and heats the area up.)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to 64 degrees. (Humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the neps. Nights can drop to low 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 30 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: During the day it can hit mid 80's. Night to the low 70's. (I usually have the A/C set around 74)

Capslock,
I was trying to get a good picture for everyone to see this windowsill but did not have the setting correct when I snapped the picture. The window area looks like a passageway to another dimension.... take a look.
nepwindowspecial.jpg

Here's a better picture.
windowneps.jpg

glider14
this is how he does it.. he has a greenhouse and everytime he takes a picture of his plants he just takes them inside on his windowsill :-))
just kidding! your plants never cease to amaze me elgecko. when your hamata vines (again?) look me up!
Alex
Wow it took this long for someone to figure out what I do......... I had so many people fooled. :jester:

While I was at it snapping more pics, here is some from out on the deck.

minibog.jpg

My minibog

Sarrs.jpg

Some sarrs waking up.

VFTs.jpg

Some VFTs

If I moved right next door to him, did the same thing, I still couldn't pull off what he does. This is some crazy temperature vortex that defies all known Nepenthes horticulture he has going on. And to think, The only think holding him back is pots!

Look at how damn clean that coir is! Clearly in league with the dark forces.

Makes me wish I had a South facing window.. I'm only like 30 minutes away from him so maybe these "dark forces" in play would reach this far. :p

I think he's lying about his location. I think he's really in Borneo..... LOL!

Makes me wish I had a South facing window.. I'm only like 30 minutes away from him so maybe these "dark forces" in play would reach this far. :p

I wish I had a south facing window too. I have every other direction except south...go figure! That's why I must stick to terrariums.

Elgecko: Do you have an RO unit to water all those plants?

how can u grow a rajah with pitchers in that humidity? its insane

can please advice on how you water your plants...like how many times a day? and what kind of mixes you use?

thanks.

I am currently using pure LFS in my neps.

Back