What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wierd Colored Seeds

I have harvested some of the seeds from a seed pod and I got a real surprise because the White Seeded Devil Claw pod had black seed in it. The seeds weren't rotten or anything and none of my black seeded Devil Claws produced flowers. I thought I would share that. How did that happen? That was a real surprise to me. :eek: Here is Pictures of the seeds and the seed pod.
SeedPod.jpg

Seeds.jpg

Those are the seeds that came out of that seed pod and G1 Applejack had to get in the picture also.

The plant that produced that claw and seed grew from a black seed then. Did you place/sow the white seed and black seed within the same proximity and possibly just mixed up what color seed produced what plant?

Congrats on the claw and seed! Nice pony with roller skates too. :D

Thanks and They were both the same colored flower. None of my black seeded Devil Claws even flowered and I think Hereditary threw a curve ball at me. Those claws are longer than the ones that I got from Arizona. Here is a picture of the plant with a flower bud opening. Can you tell what color the flower is?
DevilClawsPlant3.jpg

I hope this helps some.

Remember:
-Proboscidea parviflora = pink flowers with yellow nectar trail = black seed = two prongs on claw
-Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana = pink flowers with yellow nectar trail = white seed = more than two prongs per claw

In other words, the two above have the same flower, but different colored seed and number of prongs on claws. Since yours made a two pronged claw and black seed, then the mother plant was not of the white seed variety (Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana). Yours was Proboscidea parviflora.

May be its a hybrid? The mother could have been Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana explaining the white seed but the father could have been Proboscidea parviflora. Though if they were planted near one another then I think you might have just mixed them up or the seeds got moved.

Back